View Single Post
  #1   IP: 24.63.174.78
Old 07-03-2020, 08:00 PM

Engine won't start

Hello,
I have not been able to start my motor this season. First I thought it was a fuel issue, because I left fuel in the carburetor over the winter. I was able to start the engine, but it would only run with the choke out and at idle. It would die as soon as throttle was increased.

Based on what I’ve read here, I removed and cleaned the carb and reinstalled. It’s the first time I’ve done that but it seemed to go back together well. I also changed the Racor filter and installed new plugs

It seems to me the cylinders are getting gas. When removing the plugs after trying to start they are wet and smell of gasoline.

I’ve moved on to the spark. I did the static coil check as shown in Don’s video. The primary coil is showing 3.8 ohms and the secondary coil 10.71. I am assuming that is 1071 but at the wrong scale. There is a spare coil left by the previous owner and the results are similar on that one.
I have been unable to do a live spark test.

When I removed the distributor, which is quite a trick on this boat, I found the rotor contact dirty with carbon and what appears to be burns on each side of the contact in the plastic. The contact slides around a bit from side to side,

I am thinking I have found the problem, but don’t want to order parts until I am sure. Should I replace just the rotor or also the electronic ignitor as well. The distributor cap seems fine except for the dinged up screws.

Thanks for your help.