View Single Post
  #24   IP: 97.92.209.25
Old 06-05-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardc View Post
After a lot of thought, and a bunch of measurements over the 3-day Memorial Day weekend, I've decided to upgrade to a 3-stage external smart charger/regulator system for my alternator. I plan to do some offshore cruising, and my measured charge times and rates with the stock Mando 55A alternator will require just too many hours of engine runtime per day to make up our daily usage.

And based on the comments here about running the 55amp Mando at high currents for long periods of time causing it to run hot, I've decided to upgrade to a 100 A alternator instead of modifying the Mando. I know I still won't get more than about 40 or 50A out of it (due to the low RPMs in a normal A4 installation (sorry Hanley!)), but I expect it'll run much cooler.

So, after casting around, I found this:

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...6421&id=819457

It's a 110 A Balmar Alternator (712-110) with the ARS-5 smart regulator that I wanted. According to the Balmar selection guide, its 2" foot will fit the A4 mounting bracket. Has anyone here used the Balmar 712 alternator? Any issues with mounting it or belt size? The pulley is listed as a '2.7" deep V' pulley, but no width is specified. I know that Balmar normally specifies a 1/2" belt for 100A alternators, but since I'll only be pulling 40-50A out of it, I figure the 3/8" belt will be fine.

Can I use this pulley with the 3/8" belt, or will I have to find another pulley to fit? I'm down less than 3 weeks 'til we leave on a trip, and I'd like to get this installed before then, so I appreciate any help/info I can get.

Hi Ed, I am interested to see how yours works out,, I have started to finish my A4 Rebuild, and the PO was a Big Balmar Fan, Dual Output 95 Amp, I recently Upgraded to the ARS 5 Regulator.. the ARS 1 that hey had was toast. I will keep posted, As I am new to this type of Charging System.
Attached Images

Jeff

S/V Karinya
1973 Grampian 30', Full Keel, A4 aux.