X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • romantic comedy
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

There are ways to get more out of the alternator. Some people full field the alternator to get the full output. I have never done it, but is is not that hard to do.
    I inherited a "thing" that would full field the alternator with a timer. I cant remember the name. I know that people used to do this a lot to get max charging. Of course the alternator is working very hard and will get hot.

Something to consider.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
      Afourian MVP
      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by romantic comedy View Post
      There are ways to get more out of the alternator. Some people full field the alternator to get the full output. I have never done it, but is is not that hard to do.
      I inherited a "thing" that would full field the alternator with a timer. I cant remember the name. I know that people used to do this a lot to get max charging. Of course the alternator is working very hard and will get hot.

Something to consider.
      And hot it will get. The 712 relies on dual internal fans for cooling and they like to run fast. One of the big problems with running a big alternator slow on an A4 is the low rpms coupled with big demands. The alternator will try to meet those demands because the regulator will indeed "full field" or close to it. FWIW

Comment

• romantic comedy
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2007

I think if i was in need of some high output charging with the original alternator, I would hook up a full field doo hickey. Then i would have a spare for when I fry it.

I still carry a spare with my Balmer. Have had good luck with the balmer though.

Comment

• edwardc
          Afourian MVP
          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by romantic comedy View Post

Something to consider.
          I believe one such device was the "AutoMac", made by Spa Creek Electronics of Annapolis (now defunct).
          @(^.^)@ Ed
          1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
          with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• romantic comedy
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2007

That's is the name. Auto mac. I have one somewhere. It has a timer knob and an ammeter on a panel. I remember that the guy i got it from even gave ma an alternator that was wired for the auto mac.

Comment

• romantic comedy
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2007

That's is the name. Auto mac. I have one somewhere. It has a timer knob and an ammeter on a panel. I remember that the guy i got it from even gave ma an alternator that was wired for the auto mac.

Comment

• HOTFLASH
                • Oct 2004

OFF Subject, but IN Photo

Romantic Comedy,

With those HUGE photos, I could not help but notice your cabin sole--cork. I have a 1975 Tartan 27 with (I think) the same type sole as yours. What design is your S/V? I would like to find a similar or better quality sheets of cork to redo mine. Best I have found is bulletin board stuff, or cork tiles. I think the tiles would be too busy. But I do like the cork. How about you? Wonder if any currently built boats use cork.

Mary
                HotFlash

Comment

• romantic comedy
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2007

Hi Hot Flash. I have a tartan 34. I too love t he cork. It seems that many people do also. The cork question comes up a lot. I dont have an answer for you though.

There is http://tartan34classic.org/ and another site or two where mostly Tartan 34 are discussed. The cork issue has been posted there somewhere. The site has changed from a different but very similar address.
                  Some day I hope to redo the cork too.

I have seen many different cork type products at boat shows. Some might work well for our boats.

If you end up finding a source let me know.

Comment

• 13jeff13
                    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by edwardc View Post
                    After a lot of thought, and a bunch of measurements over the 3-day Memorial Day weekend, I've decided to upgrade to a 3-stage external smart charger/regulator system for my alternator. I plan to do some offshore cruising, and my measured charge times and rates with the stock Mando 55A alternator will require just too many hours of engine runtime per day to make up our daily usage.

And based on the comments here about running the 55amp Mando at high currents for long periods of time causing it to run hot, I've decided to upgrade to a 100 A alternator instead of modifying the Mando. I know I still won't get more than about 40 or 50A out of it (due to the low RPMs in a normal A4 installation (sorry Hanley!)), but I expect it'll run much cooler.

So, after casting around, I found this:

It's a 110 A Balmar Alternator (712-110) with the ARS-5 smart regulator that I wanted. According to the Balmar selection guide, its 2" foot will fit the A4 mounting bracket. Has anyone here used the Balmar 712 alternator? Any issues with mounting it or belt size? The pulley is listed as a '2.7" deep V' pulley, but no width is specified. I know that Balmar normally specifies a 1/2" belt for 100A alternators, but since I'll only be pulling 40-50A out of it, I figure the 3/8" belt will be fine.

Can I use this pulley with the 3/8" belt, or will I have to find another pulley to fit? I'm down less than 3 weeks 'til we leave on a trip, and I'd like to get this installed before then, so I appreciate any help/info I can get.

Hi Ed, I am interested to see how yours works out,, I have started to finish my A4 Rebuild, and the PO was a Big Balmar Fan, Dual Output 95 Amp, I recently Upgraded to the ARS 5 Regulator.. the ARS 1 that hey had was toast. I will keep posted, As I am new to this type of Charging System.
                    Attached Files
                    With Powerboats, it's about the destination. With Sailboats, you are already there.

Jeff

S/V Karinya
                    1973 Grampian 30', Full Keel, A4 aux.
                    sigpic

Comment

• sastanley
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by HOTFLASH View Post
                      Romantic Comedy,

With those HUGE photos, I could not help but notice your cabin sole--cork. I have a 1975 Tartan 27 with (I think) the same type sole as yours. What design is your S/V? I would like to find a similar or better quality sheets of cork to redo mine. Best I have found is bulletin board stuff, or cork tiles. I think the tiles would be too busy. But I do like the cork. How about you? Wonder if any currently built boats use cork.

Mary
                      HotFlash

Mary,

I know it sounds weird, but check out Lumber Liquidators. They love their line of cork flooring.

I had them send me some samples (for home) and it did not do what I wanted it do for my application (I ended up with a maple laminate).

Anyway, they have lots of different styles/construction, that may suit your needs.

FYI, cork is environmentally responsible too..It is renewable because they only harvest the bark and the tree re-grows the bark in a few years and is not permanently damaged.
                      -Shawn
                      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X