View Single Post
  #10   IP: 38.98.0.2
Old 06-16-2011, 01:20 PM
Afourian MVP

Absolutely.

I did it a couple times on my ongoing rebuild.

I made the Moyer Modification to the accessory drive, which involved plugging the existing oil drain hole by tapping it and JB Welding a screw in to permanently seal it off, and then drilling a new hole in a different location.

I also snapped off one of the exhaust manifold bolts, so I had to drill it out and re-tap the hole to install the Moyer studs.

I have no problem drilling and tapping holes - this is far from the first time I've done it.

I think you might find a "continuum" of do-it-yourself types here - some will do basic engine maintenance and simple upgrades, and then there are the crazy people like me who will take on the complete tear-down and rebuilding of the whole engine.

Part of the question is how many people who consider themselves "mechanically inclined" or "somewhat handy" have tap & die sets, or are willing the spend the money to buy them if they don't already have them. I have found that there's a certain point at which some guys decide it's not worth it to buy a certain tool they don't have, because they're very unlikely to use it again. Taps and dies seem to fall into this category for a lot of people.

Of course, if you're putting together a "kit," you could include the correct drill and tap in the kit.

Relentless pursuer of lost causes