Thread: Gas vs Diesel
View Single Post
  #53   IP: 166.205.139.243
Old 07-29-2011, 10:49 PM

Thumbs up 7 years later after my "Diesel Vs Gas" post - All's well

I was trolling around the web and ran across my original 2004 "Diesel Vs Gas" post and still retain my original opinion. I own the same 1972 Ericson 35 with the same A-4 and I can happily report it's still running along just fine. I have done nothing to it in these intervening 7 years other than regular tune-ups (plugs, points, distributed cap, rotor etc.). The tune-ups, combined with regular oil/filter changes (depending on hours or elapsed time) and a Racor fuel filter change now and then results in the A-4 running like a Singer sewing machine. I've added an Indigo oil filter & crankcase breather kit as well as Moyer Marine's quick access raw water pump and that's it! There's no oil, fuel or raw water leaks nor anything else unusual to report upon in the past 7 years. I wonder how many diesel powered boat owners can report the same statistics? In these days of ever increasing complexity/computerized machinery, it's sheer pleasure to pop the engine hatch cover and see an engine that's utter simplicity in action and work on. What else can I say other than I'm not helping much to add to Moyer Marine's profits - my apologies Don!
Oh, I havn't blown up the boat either