View Single Post
  #1   IP: 173.10.186.221
Old 11-15-2010, 10:10 AM
Afourian MVP

Acid Flush - thought you all should know

I performed a muriatic acid flush this weekend, in preparation for winterizing my engine. I have a plastic Vetus waterlift muffler, installed about four years ago when I repowered with a Moyer-rebuilt engine.

After letting the acid/water solution sit for fifteen minutes, I cranked up the engine to flush out the acid. My water lift muffler blew at that point, splitting along the top seam. I was able to run a couple of 5 gallon buckets of fresh water through the engine after that point, by physically holding the Vetus together by hand, on top of a rag. I hope I got the acid out so that no further damage is done inside my engine or exhaust line.

Now I have to have the waterlift replaced, so I can run the engine to make sure I don't have any leaks, or water getting into the oil, etc. I think I did an acid flush a couple of years ago, with the same equipment on board, with no obvious ill effects.

Don's instructions say to use 1/3 gallon of 50% acid solution in a 5 gallon bucket of water. The acid I was able to buy indicated it was a 20% solution, so I upped the amount from 1/3 gallon to about 1/2 gallon. Even using a 50% solution, I wouldn't have thought this slightly greater concentration would be enough to cause damage.

Assuming no severe damage done, I guess from now on, I'll be doing vinegar flushes and pressure flushes.

Jesse Delanoy
1977 Catalina 30 "Off The Grid"
Baltimore/Pasadena, MD