View Single Post
  #10   IP: 207.32.168.240
Old 11-02-2022, 04:25 PM
Afourian MVP

I have often wondered what the sediment bowl is for, since on the rare times that I open it, there is no sediment in it, nor is there anything caught in the screen above it. When I rebuilt the pump 20 years ago, the bowl did have some sediment. I guess the inline filter just upstream of it catches the sediment first. The Racor water separator is before that. I also have another inline filter between the pump and the carb. Since we can't have clear filters on inboard engines, we can't tell if they are getting clogged, so I replace those filters every year, they're not too expensive. It's as if the sediment bowl is a relic from the days when there were no inline filters, if there ever was such a time. Removing the bowl should be done after closing the fuel valve and running the engine dry, otherwise you are more likely to spill gas. It is tricky to re-install the bowl in a way that doesn't leak. The gasket (which should be fresh) and screen have to fit just right, and it needs to be tightened well. My 1972 Datsun pickup had a mechanical pump; never had a problem with it in 15 years. That was when boats our size were built with gasoline engines. How archaic!
Moyer's use of electrical pumps is plenty of recommendation for me, but I still like my mechanical pump. It requires no electricity, or OPSS. The hand bail will pressurize the fuel line without turning on the engine, so no need to bypass the switch. I have read on this forum that mechanical pumps create more suction, so small air leaks in the line are overcome, and don't put air into the pump to stop it working. (Not that any air leaks in the fuel line are acceptable.) My pump has no problem pulling and pushing gas past a check valve, three filters, and a pressure gauge. It's true that if the diaphragm in the pump breaks, it will leak fuel into the crankcase, which is a real concern. After 5000+ hours, I am still waiting for that to happen. But I expect not much fuel will go into the crankcase, since the engine will not run. Using MMO in non-ethanol fuel postpones that day, IMO.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to capnward For This Useful Post:
Dave Neptune (11-02-2022), Easy Rider (11-02-2022), W2ET (11-02-2022)