View Single Post
  #4   IP: 64.231.162.157
Old 03-13-2006, 12:00 PM

Thumbs up Water Pump

About six years ago I fabricated and fit both low oil pressure and high water temperature alarms to our engine. These alarms make running the engine very relaxing as I don't need to monitor the gagues regularly. The high temperature alarm worked perfectly on a subequent impellor failure. What became apparent however was that there was no system in place to prevent the little broken impellor bits from entering into the engine hoses or engine.

Last summer I fit our engine with an additional water strainer basket. I fit the strainer on the bulkhead and ran the outlet hose of the water pump to the basket and another hose from the basket to the engine block. The idea being that as the impellor starts to deteriorate the bits will get caught in the strainer. I check the basket before I start the engine and will replace the impellor at the first sign of any rubber debris being there. Impellors rarely let loose all at one shot so this will help prevent the impellor failing in use yet it will alow me to run it to the point of destruction.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan_Erlich For This Useful Post:
Ando (05-18-2022), TimBSmith (10-11-2020)