View Single Post
  #11   IP: 73.16.143.62
Old 06-17-2021, 09:34 PM

Vinegar soaking worked very well.

Thanks to all who weighed in to help with the over heating issue. For to possibly help others I will report.

I filled the engine with as much white vinegar as it would hold after removing the thermostat. It soaked from Monday till Thursday. After starting the engine it had a greatly increased flow and chugged out a lot of grey/whitish goopy water that cleared up after a few minutes and when I revved the engine up to 2500 RPM more nasty stuff came out until finally completely cleared up. After running in gear against mooring lines for 20 minutes at
1800 to 2000 rpm the temp never exceeded about 130 degrees. It seemed cool but considering water temp still around 63 degrees and no thermostat it made sense.

The thermostat that had been in had a good deal of crud on it and did not move smoothly and as the P.O kindly left me a brand new one I will install it next chance I get and report on things after that. I call this a successful fix and hope anyone with similar issues may find this useful. Thanks for the vinegar tip and the saladsmell aint so bad. Happy Father's to all the Father's on the forum. Mike
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sculldog1 For This Useful Post:
Surcouf (06-18-2021), TimBSmith (06-17-2021)