• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • southcoasting
    • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
    Did more moisture come out of #3?

Dave Neptune
    There was so much on all that I really could not tell...
    1971 Tartan 34C Sloop "NOVA LUNA", Rebuilt (2019) Fresh Water Cooled A4 (Bought boat in 2014)
    1968 Tartan 27 Yawl "Destinada", rebuilt Old Lyme freshwater A4 (Sold boat in 2014)

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Jan 2007

Southcoasting, I "see" you have the water line into the manifold cut off. If you can just plug one end and blow into the other it should hold against you, if the pressure goes away quickly IE you have to keep blowing ~~ BINGO. This is not a good test but with the amount of liquid you are loosing the oral test might be fine. As a practice whenever I go to pressure check anything I do the same either by blowing or sucking. In many cases I did not have to hook up the gauge and stuff as the leak was obvious.

At 25lbs low it could well be the gasket but I would expect it to be lower.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• joe_db
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Seeing as this is a fresh overhaul, is there a plug or something somewhere someone forgot to put back
        Joe Della Barba
        Coquina
        C&C 35 MK I
        Maryland USA

Comment

• southcoasting
          • Nov 2011

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
          Seeing as this is a fresh overhaul, is there a plug or something somewhere someone forgot to put back
          I don’t know but I read about the plug on the valve side on one of the bulletins...the main thing to note though it that the leak at the manifold is significant...as soon as I pump my tire inflator I could hear a good amount of hissing shooting out in manifold. It does not hold any kind of pressure not ever for a millisecond
          1971 Tartan 34C Sloop "NOVA LUNA", Rebuilt (2019) Fresh Water Cooled A4 (Bought boat in 2014)
          1968 Tartan 27 Yawl "Destinada", rebuilt Old Lyme freshwater A4 (Sold boat in 2014)

Comment

• southcoasting
            • Nov 2011

Southcoasting, I "see" you have the water line into the manifold cut off. If you can just plug one end and blow into the other it should hold against you, if the pressure goes away quickly IE you have to keep blowing ~~ BINGO. This is not a good test but with the amount of liquid you are loosing the oral test might be fine. As a practice whenever I go to pressure check anything I do the same either by blowing or sucking. In many cases I did not have to hook up the gauge and stuff as the leak was obvious.

At 25lbs low it could well be the gasket but I would expect it to be lower.

Dave Neptune
            Yes, I had already indicated in previous posts that the manifold has a big hole somewhere and that is the culprit. I plugged it so that I can blow air in the other end via a tire inflator...holds no pressure at all and I could hear air/water gurgling into exhaust...I will be replacing it in the next few days...

Comment

• Dave Neptune
              • Jan 2007

Then the manifold is the culprit for the gobs of water.

Important, get the coolant sucked out of the engine and be ready to flush the oil a couple of times once you get the new manifold on. Be careful removing the exhaust, old exhaust systems that have a year or 2 left can easily snap off with not much effort.

If you "hydrauliced" the engine you still may have a small breech in the head-gasket thus the low #3. Had you done a compression check any time before this incident? If so was #3 low?

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                • Jan 2007

Sorry, I missed part of your #7 post. Been a busy day.

Best

Dave Neptune

Comment

• joe_db
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

That is good news, a new manifold and problem solved
                  Joe Della Barba
                  Coquina
                  C&C 35 MK I
                  Maryland USA

Comment

• southcoasting
                    • Nov 2011

Then the manifold is the culprit for the gobs of water.

Important, get the coolant sucked out of the engine and be ready to flush the oil a couple of times once you get the new manifold on. Be careful removing the exhaust, old exhaust systems that have a year or 2 left can easily snap off with not much effort.

If you "hydrauliced" the engine you still may have a small breech in the head-gasket thus the low #3. Had you done a compression check any time before this incident? If so was #3 low?

Dave Neptune
                    I had not run a compression test but I know I had a couple valves that were stuck...it could be a stuck valve?

Comment

• southcoasting
                      • Nov 2011

Just wanted to update on this...I had a spare manifold from my old engine which I had sandblasted and painted it...pressure was good on this one...

After about 9 hours or runtime most of which was a 5 day cruise to Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket, all is good! There is an unusual amount of heat buildup on the aft end of manifold but maybe it’s normal...I will post something on this...all is good on this main issue though!

Comment

Working...
                      X