View Single Post
  #10   IP: 32.220.217.121
Old 01-01-2023, 08:25 PM
Afourian MVP

I was given a free Atomic 4 many years ago. Owners wife was insisting on a new diesel because the A4 was smoking up the cabin and leaking oil.
I didn't need it but brought it home and went at it. This was before the cooling system pressure test was the norm.
Leaking oil? Replaced the transmission oil seal.
Smoking up the cabin? Rings were shot. Lower oil rings had like 1/8" end clearance - they were just along for the ride! Replaced the rings.
Valves had a lot of carbon build-up. Too much MMO in the fuel? Who knows. Cleaned that up, did a decent valve job. Put it all back together. Sat in the basement for like 3 years. Wife protested after a while but I told her not to worry.
Engine in boat goes belly up. Bring boat close to the crane, old engine out in the afternoon, replacement in place the next morning. Autopsy of old engine shows a cracked block, cracked in the valve area. It either went to the junk yard or somewhere else as a 'teaching aid' - not sure.
Compared to an outboard, the Atomic 4 is stone simple. No reed valves, etc. Recommend you fix your A4.