View Single Post
  #3   IP: 104.28.132.135
Old 01-01-2023, 08:49 AM
Frequent Contributor

I’m pulling because I bought a project boat, and working on an engine this size is more work than I have the knowledge or garage space to feel comfortable diving into. I know a little about engines, but it’s from years of working on single cylinder motorcycles and small engines. I haven’t owned many larger vehicles, so I feel like switching an older inboard for an outboard motor would be more manageable for my skill set. I’m also quite new to sailing and boating, so simplifying the process is a priority.

In answer to the second question, I’m pretty sure the head gasket is blown. Compression on the first cylinder is low, and the plug was also pretty fouled. There is some water intrusion that exits the vent into the air intake. I ran the engine for about 10 hours (not continuous) before that began, and I shut it down as soon as I saw it. I didn’t have any periods of extended cranking to start it, so I don’t think it came from prolonged starting.
The exhaust smells rich, and also blows some white smoke, so this makes me think the valves at least need adjusting and the rings may need replacing.
The water jacket (I think that’s the right name) is pretty rusty, but the bolts looks relatively new. So I know some work has been done over the years, but I’m not sure to what extent.

But again, I don’t have a lot of experience with these engines, so it may be better than I think or it may be worse.
I think if I had the garage space (I don’t actually have any garage at all) I would consider digging into it myself and figuring it out over time. But alas, this one is destined to be someone else’s project.