View Single Post
  #14   IP: 74.110.198.83
Old 05-19-2011, 09:37 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndutton View Post
I understand the preference of sailing over working but I have somewhat of a unique situation. With my history of working at several sailboat manufacturers and building my own Westsail as they say, "from a bare hull," those that know me have certain expectations. I place minimum standards on myself too, surely a sign of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. So I sacrificed a couple years of sailing to spiff her up.
I can relate, to some degree.

My boat was sailable when we got her, and in fact we took her out for some day trips and one overnighter.

But she was showing her age and suffering from "deferred maintenance" in certain areas. Letting these things go longer would only make them all worse and require much more extensive (and expensive) work later on to correct them.

So I've missed pretty much the whole spring sailing season (and we've had some fantastic sailing weather) while she's on the hard and I'm gradually, as I have spare time, here and there, completely rebuilding the engine and replacing the cabin floors and sole.

Still have lots to do, but she's going to be much nicer and more enjoyable when it's all done.

Relentless pursuer of lost causes