I went looking for it in the catalog section and can't find it
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

As I was involved with the EWDS, I'll field this question. Yes Joe, you are correct. A decision was made to sunset the product.

We enjoyed favorable response and excellent performance of the product and reached a point where the printed circuit board supply ran low (there are two per unit). To continue offering the EWDS, a significant order of custom made PCBs from an offshore source became necessary. Being custom made, the quantities involved for decent pricing were, in a word, excessive.

There were several other factors involved but the PCBs were the tipping point. The discussion went on for a while and the decision was not made easily. A factor in the timing was to still have enough PCB supply on hand to support products in the field for a very long time.
    Last edited by ndutton; 09-12-2022, 11:23 PM.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• W2ET
      Former Admin
      • Oct 2008

Unfortunate, but understandable, I suppose.

This was by far the most innovative of all the products in the MMI family.

Thanks to Neil for his dedication to making it happen.

Bill

Comment

• joe_db
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Can I make a suggestion?
        Why not make a low fuel pressure buzzer/light product?
        Most of us have or can easily set up the low oil pressure and overheating alarms, but almost no one has a low fuel pressure alarm that does not have the EWDS. I happen to have a fuel pressure gauge in the cockpit with a red light that comes on at 1 PSI or less, but most of the fleet either has nothing or a mechanical gauge near the engine, not cockpit readable.

You have the low fuel pressure switches still I presume. That and a light/buzzer and you are set
        Joe Della Barba
        Coquina
        C&C 35 MK I
        Maryland USA

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

A low fuel pressure stand alone system can be cobbled together from off the shelf parts but it will need it's own indicator (buzzer and/or light). I'm not inclined to spend the time to make a proper product proposal to MMI for such a system but that shouldn't deter anyone else from doing so if they have the passion.

The first step is a working prototype.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California

Comment

• TimBSmith
            Afourian MVP
            • Aug 2020

The EWDS has been on my wish list...

The longer I have been maintaining this motor the more I appreciate the unique types of data that can help with prevention and diagnostics.

If anyone is parting with their EWDS system in the future, I would consider buying a used system. Instrumenting this motor gives me greater confidence in ongoing operation and diagnostics.

Thanks for creating this system which represents a lot of instrumentation wisdom I have picked up piecemeal in the threads here.

Fair winds as EWDS goes end of life and into support only. All understandable.

Thankful for the forum and Moyer.
            Tim Smith
            Oasis
            Pearson 30
            1974, Number 572
            Boston, MA USA

Comment

• joe_db
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

What is the part number for the low fuel pressure sender?
              Joe Della Barba
              Coquina
              C&C 35 MK I
              Maryland USA

Comment

• edwardc
                Afourian MVP
                • Aug 2009

Neil, Don,

If the EWDS is going into end-of-life support only, why not make the PC board CAD files public domain? This way, DIYers with electronics experience could use one of the PC Board prototyping companies (such as JLCPCB), to fab them.

These prototyping shops have prices that, while too high for production work, are quite tolerable for a hobbyist doing a one-off project.
                @(^.^)@ Ed
                1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
                with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

Originally posted by edwardc View Post
                  Neil, Don,
                  If the EWDS is going into end-of-life support only, why not make the PC board CAD files public domain? This way, DIYers with electronics experience could use one of the PC Board prototyping companies (such as JLCPCB), to fab them.
                  For anyone interested, contact me via PM or email through the forum software and I'll reply with the circuit board CAD files attached. They'll be in AutoCAD Drawing EXchange Format (dxf).

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
                  What is the part number for the low fuel pressure sender?
                  Anfield SPFL-3F-2M-B-TS

If sourcing your own, it must be gasoline and alcohol rated, normally closed contacts and low pressure (~1 PSI). The Anfield part number above comes factory preset @3PSI, must be adjusted down to be useful for our application.
                  Neil
                  1977 Catalina 30
                  San Pedro, California

Comment

Working...
                  X