View Single Post
  #5   IP: 32.211.38.220
Old 08-10-2022, 07:12 PM
Afourian MVP

My Tartan 30 ('73 vintage) had 2 group 27 batteries and an A/B switch when purchased.
When I sold it (30 yrs later), it had a group 24 dedicated to the engine and 2 group 27 batteries dedicated to the house loads. Each battery/bank had an on/off switch. Alternator output went directly to the house bank. When the house bank came up to voltage (12.8 or so) a VSR would close and send charge current to the start battery. System worked well.
I also had a battery monitor (Victron?) but only trusted the voltage and current readings. I never got to fully trust the 'state of charge' display. I learned to read the voltage/current during charge/discharge and judge how the battery was doing.
I never did install one of those 'emergency start' systems. Jumper cables seemed to satisfy the need, and never needed them.
Consider your needs and have your electrical system satisfy them. I had no TV or microwave, but did carry a 100W inverter. An inverter bigger than that won't work on a lighter plug but will need a better connection (hard wire?).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Al Schober For This Useful Post:
Theo Lewis (08-11-2022), TimBSmith (08-10-2022)