View Single Post
  #3   IP: 162.245.50.196
Old 07-18-2022, 09:24 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
The engine is running way to hot. A raw water engine with no t-stat should have a hard time getting above 140. At the temps you are running the salts will come out of suspension and crystalize in the block reducing heat dissipation and reducing flow through the block.
A good way to keep track of the water pump performance is with a water pressure gage. I have used many on marine applications where the pump runs in dirty or muddy waters as the debris eats away the pump veins.
You probably have a clogged line and/or are sucking air into the pump where it leaks. Pull the intake line at the pump and check for good flow and clear it if necessary. If it is open there check the pump impeller as it is an easy fix. If you are still running hot once you confirm the pump is OK try closing the diverter some and if it still stays hot a flush is in your engines future.

The temp rise you observed is NORMAL. As the engine is cooled via the cold water the internals of the engine are much hotter so when you shut down that heat in the internals radiates to the water raising the temp as it is no longer being carried away. My RWC engine ran at around 140 at a hard cruise and I would always let it idle for a few minutes before shutting down. Then a about 5 minutes after shutting down I would hit the key and see how much the temp would rise, usually about 20 degrees.

David Neptune
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Neptune For This Useful Post:
Sam (07-18-2022), TimBSmith (07-18-2022)