View Single Post
  #1   IP: 73.182.158.173
Old 09-14-2020, 01:29 PM

valve spring keepers stuck inside spring cup washers

Looking for advice before I make a new tool: I've easily removed 5 of the 8 valves - lifting the cup-washer and spring exposed the two-part keepers. Small pen magnet easily snagged the keepers. Each set of valve/spring/cup-washer/keeper goes into it's own labeled bag for later exam and reuse. Will be replacing the springs later this week - and possibly the guides if they are too worn - will check with the gauges but so far seem OK.

The other three valves I cannot get the cup washer to separate and rise off the keepers. No sign of rust (everything in this engine is greasy/oily sludged up and the other 5 are oily and look fine. The stuck keepers are on exhaust valves #1E, #2E, and #4E. I've tried penetrating oils, grabbing the valve with vice grips and rotating against the cups, etc. No Joy.

I'm about to cut up a half-inch socket to fit over the lifter adjustment bolt with a right sized hole on the drive end to force the cup-washer up and clear the keepers - sized to just fit between the lifted valve and tappet. Then tap down on the lifted valve with a wooden mallet. Hope to force the cup-washer off by driving down the valve stem and keepers into the drilled out socket.

Any tricks I can try before I go to this level of effort?

thanks in advance.
-DaveL