View Single Post
  #74   IP: 71.234.134.212
Old 02-10-2011, 06:44 PM

Smile

Hi ArtJ

Thanks for the feedback on your experience mounting a FWC system on the engine.

I cannot lay my hand on my old Universal Catalogue, but I seem to remember in it a drawing of a FWC system very much like the Moyer system of a vertical heat exchanger with a small fill tank at the top: overall an upside down "L".
I can understand with a simple clamp bracket around the vertical part hanging on two of the manifold studs, the FWC could be hung on the manifold. This must be what you have.

This leads me to believe that I should stay with a some kind of bracket plate for the water tank hanging on the exhaust manifold studs. The studs have no trouble with the weight, etc of the quart or so of coolant in an aluminium cylinder. If I'm concerned that my plate is a bit flimsy as it needs to be thin enough to fit happily on the studs, I can always either replace/beef up the plate or add some kind of bracing to the plate. Probably with something like some "L" brackets or drilled strips from an aluminum ruler which I can get from the local hardware store, I can work up an easy and robust solution, probably without bothering more than one of the engine head studs.

When I get the new system fixed up I'll send along a photo for the archives to help others.

Thanks again,

David