View Single Post
  #51   IP: 65.190.137.174
Old 11-29-2010, 08:52 AM

Indigo FWC w/ electric pump and TCV

I'm about 90% complete on the installation of the Indigo system with the electric pump and Temperature Control Valve. Like others I just didn't like crowding the space at the accessory drive. Locating the heat exchanger in the lazerette is less than perfect, but it is easy to adjust the temperature. I've used more elbows than recomended to keep the lazerette neat. As part of this project I replaced the original raw water pump with the Moyer and also upgraded to the 1/2" belt pulley for the Balmar alternator.
The TCV system eliminates the thermostat and the by-pass hose. The instructions call for carefully flushing block.
My question comes now. Inside the thermostat housing has a black build-up that looks like soot. Its not oily. There's no rust scale. My first thought ran to a blown head gasket at an exhaust valve. My second thought is silt from being in fresh and brackish water for most of the AnnaDor's life. The three spring thermostat was completely blackened, but still operated. Should I be concerned?