View Single Post
  #4   IP: 67.184.216.83
Old 07-18-2022, 02:19 PM
Afourian MVP

I have a raw water cooled early model for 45 yrs - different cooling routing than late model but similar issues. Normal running temp is 140 with stoke thermostat. I like to start with simple solutions. Every few years I see the temp moves up to 160 - 180. We are in Lake Michigan so I do not need to worry about salt water issues.

I take a piece of foot length of fairly stiff 10=12 gauge solid core wire and start poking into pump outflow and any water passages that I have access to. In a pinch I have even carefully used a wire coat hanger. Gunk, rust. debris etc. has been cleared every time and issue solved.

Another point is that visual water flow can be deceptive. About 15 yrs ago the A4 was running hot. I unhooked the disharge hose to check flow and it looked great to me [no pressure gauge]. An older sea salt looked at it and said I needed a new water pump based on the visual pressure/flow - a different perspective. I knew the impellar was new so I changed out a 30yr pump - again problem solved.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sam For This Useful Post:
TimBSmith (07-18-2022)