• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wetbirks
    • Jul 2021

Originally posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
    The fuel system needs to be primed.
    There is a blockage between the tank and the fuel pump such as a blocked filter.
    The end of the outlet tube in the tank may be blocked.* Especially if there is some sort of a filter on the end of the outlet tube in the tank.

ex TRUE GRIT

*Edit: Did you try blowing into the tank and listening for bubbles?

I am fairly certain that the blockage is at the fuel pump. I disassembled all the hoses between the tank and the engine and blew everything out with compressed air.

I tried activating the primer with just the final hose next to the engine attached and there was no suction at all. This tells me that there's something going on in the fuel pump itself.

The engine did start briefly after putting everything back together. I'm assuming this is because some fuel was moved into the motor because of the compressed air. This gives me hope that I just need to figure out what is blocking at the fuel pump.

Comment

• wetbirks
      • Jul 2021

Originally posted by Mo View Post
      Thanks for the pics and info. So it came alive with a shot of ether so we know it will start. You have a mechanical fuel pump. As suggested try priming the pump and again, ensure your choke is opening and closing fully. After that I'd think about the amount of gas in the tank..is there enough for the pickup tube to grab some.

Those mechanical pumps work for extremely long periods of time before any problems occur with them. However, occasionally they do develop a pinhole. I think, however, that because it fired up on ether there should have been lots of opportunity due to rpm to pick up gas and keep running.

That brings me to filters and carb. I'm wondering if there wasn't some sediment left in the tank that plugged the main jet on the carb. If you were able to just loosen the fuel line fitting coming from the fuel pump to the carb and turn it over you should see fuel leak around that fitting. If that is the case I would go to remove the carb and definitely clean it. Not a huge job, just be careful of your gaskets and clean the jets. If you are able blow some compressed air through everything by all means. When removing the jets ensure to use the correct size screwdriver and remember when assembling you don't need to tighten those jets back in with major torque, just snugged with wrist pressure...done. Clean up the needle valve as well. If it is your first time at a carb just take your time and I think you will do fine. I really think you will find your problem with the main jet...it is so hard to get a tank clean and then there is disbelief if dirt end up in the system.

Hope that helps.
      Mo, your instruction seemed to be my next step based on what I've discovered so far.

Comment

• wetbirks
        • Jul 2021

One final update for today. I ended up funneling fuel into the system from the hose just after the tank. I then started the boat in the motor ran for 20 seconds before cutting out. I assumed it just consumed all of the fuel in the lines.

I suspect I have a fuel pump issue.

Comment

• wallis
          Frequent Contributor
          • Jun 2021

mechanical fuel pump

After looking at all your pictures, it appears that your fuel line does not go to the mechanical fuel pump. In one of the pics your fuel line is going into a racor fuel filter/separator and then goes to an inline filter and disappears at the bottom of the pic. The fuel separator attached to the mechanical pump is missing its bowl, and does not have a line attached to the inlet barb. Another picture with a yellow mark around the mechanical pump primer shows a copper line coming up and going into the carburetor. You must have an electric pump somewhere in that line between the tank and carburetor.

Also, your choke wire is not hooked up to the choke.

Comment

• wetbirks
            • Jul 2021

Originally posted by wallis View Post
            After looking at all your pictures, it appears that your fuel line does not go to the mechanical fuel pump. In one of the pics your fuel line is going into a racor fuel filter/separator and then goes to an inline filter and disappears at the bottom of the pic. The fuel separator attached to the mechanical pump is missing its bowl, and does not have a line attached to the inlet barb. Another picture with a yellow mark around the mechanical pump primer shows a copper line coming up and going into the carburetor. You must have an electric pump somewhere in that line between the tank and carburetor.

Also, your choke wire is not hooked up to the choke.

The choke wire issue has been resolved. Thank you for noting that.

Thank you also for studying my photos. Is this the electric fuel pump?
            Attached Files

Comment

• wetbirks
              • Jul 2021

Originally posted by wetbirks View Post
              The choke wire issue has been resolved. Thank you for noting that.

Thank you also for studying my photos. Is this the electric fuel pump?
              Your observations would prove why my attempts to prime with the manual primer have been pointless.

I wonder if my electric fuel pump is not connected properly.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                • Nov 2008

An electrical fuel pump will have a wire running to it.
                What are you located? Maybe there is a forum member that is near by and would be willing to come to the boat and have a look. I could figure this out pronto if I could see the whole picture.........
                How did you adjust the choke?

ex TRUE GRIT
                Last edited by JOHN COOKSON; 07-05-2021, 01:32 AM.

Comment

• wetbirks
                  • Jul 2021

Originally posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
                  An electrical fuel pump will have a wire running to it.
                  What are you located? Maybe there is a forum member that is near by and would be willing to come to the boat and have a look. I could figure this out pronto if I could see the whole picture.........
                  How did you adjust the choke?

ex TRUE GRIT

The sliver device circled in yellow in the picture above has two wires running from it to the back of the engine.

For the choke, I just reattached the wire.

I am located in Toronto.

Comment

• Surcouf
                    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                    • May 2018

not sure if anybody has asked you already, but do you have already installed a pressure gage on the fuel line just before the carburetor? This usually allows to rule out any fuel supply issue (that includes vacuum in the fuel tank, fautly Safety switches, dead pumps (mechanical or electrical), plugged filters and so on...).
                    Last edited by Surcouf; 07-05-2021, 11:16 AM.
                    Surcouf
                    A nostalgic PO - Previously "Almost There" - Catalina 27 (1979)

Comment

• roadnsky
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by wetbirks View Post
                      The sliver device circled in yellow in the picture above has two wires running from it to the back of the engine.
                      Next time you're at the boat, please take CLOSER pics of...

• The Manual Fuel Pump
                      • The Racor Filter
                      • The silver device you circled.
                      (Looks like a filter to me)

Also, please trace where those wires from the silver device terminate.
                      Is there a hose (copper or rubber) going from the Manual Pump TO the Carb?

Finally, please trace the path FROM the fuel tank TO the carb.
                      You're trying to confirm that there is an un-interrupted path for the fuel to get from the tank all the way IN to the carb.
                      Please note (and list) anything you find in that path. (Racor, filter, pump, etc)

This will help us understand more what your fuel system consists of.
                      -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                      sigpic
                      1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• wallis
                        Frequent Contributor
                        • Jun 2021

electric fuel pump

the silver object you circled could be an electric fuel pump, if so it may be a cheapy like this and need to be replaced. With electric fuel pumps, my understanding is that you should keep a spare.

Comment

• ndutton
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2009

In the picture I'm seeing an abandoned but still mounted mechanical fuel pump with the sediment bowl removed and hose detached. The item you circled looks like it might be a Delphi electric fuel pump (available from Home Depot) with a mounting thingy around its waist, hoses attached.

If that is correct, have you located the USCG required oil pressure safety switch that prevents the pump from operating unless the engine is running?
                          Neil
                          1977 Catalina 30
                          San Pedro, California
                          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• wetbirks
                            • Jul 2021

Originally posted by roadnsky View Post
                            Next time you're at the boat, please take CLOSER pics of...

• The Manual Fuel Pump
                            • The Racor Filter
                            • The silver device you circled.
                            (Looks like a filter to me)

Also, please trace where those wires from the silver device terminate.
                            Is there a hose (copper or rubber) going from the Manual Pump TO the Carb?

Finally, please trace the path FROM the fuel tank TO the carb.
                            You're trying to confirm that there is an un-interrupted path for the fuel to get from the tank all the way IN to the carb.
                            Please note (and list) anything you find in that path. (Racor, filter, pump, etc)

This will help us understand more what your fuel system consists of.

Here is the path of the fuel line:
                            1. It comes out of the fuel tank and passes through a valve which is open
                            2. It goes in and out of the Racor. I took the hoses off in blue air through it successfully. I have not opened it up yet to observe the contents of the Racor.
                            3. Out of the Racor there is a line to the silver electric fuel pump/filter. The wires on this pump / filter are connected at the back of the engine.
                            4. Out of the pump/filter the line goes into the carburetor.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• wetbirks
                              • Jul 2021

Continuation of previous post, more photos of the gas line path.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• roadnsky
                                Afourian MVP
                                • Dec 2008

Ok, I would venture to say we may have found your issue.
                                As Neil posted, that does indeed look like the Delphi pump he linked to.
                                I don't know what the rating of that pump is but you need a minimum of 2-3 psi to draw fuel from your tank, thru the Racor and to the carb.

I'm also concerned with the safety of your current setup.
                                For instance, where the copper tubing is simply jammed into the rubber fuel hose.
                                I'm surprised there isn't a fuel leak or at minimum, an AIR leak affecting carb performance.

IF this were my boat I would replace the fuel pump (wiring it correctly with an OPSS) and the fuel lines (replacing the copper tubing).
                                The very simplest way would be to call Ken at MMI. He would ask a few questions and insure you had all of the hoses, fittings, etc that you'd need.

I do, however understand that being in Canada, this may be too large of an expense.
                                Perhaps one of our Canadian crew could help suggest a pump and where you could get it easily?

Once we address the fuel pump, we should then make sure your choke is indeed closing and opening properly.
                                But the fuel delivery first...
                                -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                                sigpic
                                1978 RANGER 30

Comment

Working...
                                X