X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wetbirks
    • Jul 2021

Originally posted by jcwright View Post
    You mention that you think you ran the gas tank dry. After adding fuel and opening the fuel valve, did you prime the carburetor using the priming lever on your mechanical fuel pump?
    I did not use the priming liever. Are you able to point me to where it is located?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by wetbirks; 07-03-2021, 08:27 AM.

Comment

• jcwright
      Afourian MVP
      • Jul 2012

Hello wetbirks.

Here is an old thread on mechanical fuel pumps that may be helpful, especially post #3 by sastanley, which includes a picture:

Jack.

Comment

• wetbirks
        • Jul 2021

Originally posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
        That valve will have to be open so fuel can get to the engine.
        The raw water cooling valve should be closed when cranking a no start engine.
        A fully charged battery does not guarantee that you have spark. Have you confirmed that you have spark? Have you tried shooting starting fluid into the carburetor while cranking the engine? We will be able to help further if you could supply details. The first step is to figure out if the no start is due to a problem with fuel, spark or compression since all three are needed for the engine to start.

ex TRUE GRIT

Hi John, where might I find my raw water cooling valve?

Comment

• roadnsky
          Afourian MVP
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by wetbirks View Post
          ...where might I find my raw water cooling valve?
          Look at the REAR (StarBoard) side of your engine and locate the WATER PUMP.
          (See PIC #1)
          Follow the hose attached to it to where it connects to a THRU HULL.
          (See PIC #2)
          Your valve may look a little different but basically you're looking for something with a valve attached to the hull.
          (More reading on this HERE)
          That valve feeds your cooling system and is commonly referred to as the Raw Water Cooling Valve.

On that note, Forum Crew...
          We should maybe re-think how we refer to closing that "valve" for clarity to newbies? Just a thought.
          Attached Files
          -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
          sigpic
          1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
            Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
            • Nov 2008

The inner wire for the choke is not connected to the dohicky on the choke; it appears to be resting on the part itself. The engine will not start unless it is choked, especially when cold.
            To review: To start the engine needs fuel, spark, compression
            in the cylinders. Also the choke must be working and the spark needs to be at the right time (timing).
            The raw cooling water intake valve in located on the hull of the boat at the other end of the water pump inlet hose. When you crank the engine the water pump is turning and pumping water. Exhaust pressure will blow this water out when the engine is running. When the engine isn't running water can accumulate in the exhaust system and flood back into the engine if the engine is no start cranked for to long of a period of time.
            A BELATED WELCOME TO THE FORUM. We'll get your engine running. Hang in there.

ex TRUE GRIT

Edit: Jerry beat me to it with some excellent pictures
            Last edited by JOHN COOKSON; 07-03-2021, 10:31 AM.

Comment

• wetbirks
              • Jul 2021

[QUOTE=JOHN COOKSON;126028]The inner wire for the choke is not connected to the dohicky on the choke; it appears to be resting on the part itself. The engine will not start unless it is choked, especially when cold.

Is this what you're referring to? I'm heading down to the boat in about an hour and I will give it a closer inspection to make sure it is attached.

Thank you for the warm welcome! I so much appreciate the help I received.
              Attached Files

Comment

• wetbirks
                • Jul 2021

"That valve feeds your cooling system and is commonly referred to as the Raw Water Cooling Valve."

Thank you for helping me locate that valve. I will turn it off when I try to start the engine again. At what point would I reopen it?

Comment

• roadnsky
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Dec 2008

Thank you for helping me locate that valve. I will turn it off when I try to start the engine again. At what point would I reopen it?
                  You'll open it as soon as the engine STARTS and is running.

That circled area (choke arm) is indeed what John was referring to.
                  In the below pics you can see how is is supposed to be attached.
                  Attached Files
                  -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                  sigpic
                  1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• wetbirks
                    • Jul 2021

John and Jerry, the choke was most certainly disconnected. I have reconnected it now. No start yet, but working through the information provided to me one by one.

Comment

• wetbirks
                      • Jul 2021

Originally posted by roadnsky View Post
                      Look at the REAR (StarBoard) side of your engine and locate the WATER PUMP.
                      (See PIC #1)
                      Follow the hose attached to it to where it connects to a THRU HULL.
                      (See PIC #2)
                      Your valve may look a little different but basically you're looking for something with a valve attached to the hull.
                      (More reading on this HERE)
                      That valve feeds your cooling system and is commonly referred to as the Raw

On that note, Forum Crew...
                      We should maybe re-think how we refer to closing that "valve" for clarity to newbies? Just a thought.

Located the wrong water cooling valve. It was in the off position already.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• wetbirks
                        • Jul 2021

Originally posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
                        The fuel pump itself may need to be primed depending on your boat's fuel system is set up. The A4 fuel pump can have problems with dead lift.

ex TRUE GRIT

After eliminating a few other issues, I've moved on to priming the fuel pump. It just emits a dry squeaky sound after pumping it for many minutes. I'm convinced that the fuel is not being drawn through the system. When I disconnect the hose clamps throughout the system I just find dry fuel line starting at the tank all the way down to the fuel pump.

Any suggestions on why the fuel is not leaving the tank?

Comment

• wetbirks
                          • Jul 2021

After doing a few things mentioned in this form, I'm convinced that my next step is to figure out an issue with fuel delivery. The manual fuel pump makes a continuous squeaky noise that doesn't seem to be drawing fuel into the engine. When I remove the clamps and pull the fuel lines in various locations between the tank and the fuel pump, the lines are all dry. So I am certain that there is no fuel passing through the fuel lines.

I added 20 L of fuel last week.

Any suggestions on my next steps to troubleshoot this?

Please recall that I did run the fuel tank empty prior to adding the new fuel.

Comment

• jcwright
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Jul 2012

Here is a thread that includes suggestions on priming mechanical fuel pumps and other related problems:

Hopefully your persistence will pay off soon.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                              Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                              • Nov 2008

Any suggestions on why the fuel is not leaving the tank?
                              The fuel system needs to be primed.
                              There is a blockage between the tank and the fuel pump such as a blocked filter.
                              The end of the outlet tube in the tank may be blocked.* Especially if there is some sort of a filter on the end of the outlet tube in the tank.

ex TRUE GRIT

*Edit: Did you try blowing into the tank and listening for bubbles?
                              Last edited by JOHN COOKSON; 07-03-2021, 08:35 PM.

Comment

• ndutton
                                Afourian MVP
                                • May 2009

Air leak in the fuel line/filter? It's hard to see because it doesn't leak fuel out but rather air into the fuel path.
                                Neil
                                1977 Catalina 30
                                San Pedro, California
                                prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                                Had my hands in a few others

Comment

Working...
                                X