Cleaning a bare block: acid in cylinders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scratchee
    • Feb 2020

Cleaning a bare block: acid in cylinders?

I have my block stripped bare and am trying to figure the best way to clean it, worst need being the cooling passages. If I use some sort of acid bath, could it damage the cylinder walls? I have no need to do anything with the cylinders, but since everything is stripped off the block I can't exactly "flush" the passages alone since there are openings everywhere.

Is there a standard approach at this stage? Thanks for any advice!
  • Marian Claire
    Afourian MVP
    • Aug 2007

IIRC. I used a pressure washer after a lot of poking and brushing of the water passages. Had to quickly oil everything to stop flash rusting.

Dan
    S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• Al Schober
      Afourian MVP
      • Jul 2009

When you clean the passages, pay attention to the small ones in the top of the block. These tend to scale up with raw water cooled engines. A drill bit or a diamond burr in a Dremel tool are good weapons. The passages near the valves don't go straight but have a dogleg in them. Save the acid flush for after things are back together.
      This is also a good time to install studs for the cover plate into the water jacket. The original bolts are a known source of leaks.

Comment

• ronstory
        Afourian MVP
        • Feb 2016

A sturdy coat hanger and lot of poking in the corners works well for round the cylinder and passages. I also use these mounted int a drill to get into nooks and crannies.

A regular screwdriver can be good for the edges of the passageways.

Also, the most scale I got out of the head was when I replaced the core/freeze plugs. This was after using all the above tools. I was simply astounded as how much extra scale came out after driving in the new plugs.
        Thanks,
        Ron
        Portland, OR

Comment

• scratchee
          • Feb 2020

Thanks everyone. I'll hold off on the acid for now.

Comment

Working...
          X