View Single Post
  #31   IP: 67.234.39.221
Old 03-09-2021, 07:58 PM
Afourian MVP

After removing the water jacket cover and digging around some. The leak is in located the forward part of the "floor" of that chamber. This matches what I found when looking up thru the top of the crank case. The cylinder walls and the other parts of the chamber look to be in good shape compared to some of the pics we have seen on the forum. I did poke around some trying to find bad spots.
The shape of the leak makes me wonder if this area froze at some point. Possible many years ago. I am not that familiar with freeze damage other than frozen copper water supply lines. Man that brings back some memories.
As best I know this A-4 has always been RW cooled and in the brackish water of the lower Neuse River. I believe it is a MMI rebuild and I need to contact Ken and see if he can date it with the block #. Seeing how good the A-4 looks in general and the good compression #s I bet it is not that old. A freezing issue has no sense of time.

Dan
S/V Marian Claire

Edit: "There were recently several blocks with a crack on the floor of the cooling chamber above the crankshaft (freeze damage?)." Post # 25.

Last edited by Marian Claire; 03-09-2021 at 08:20 PM.