Thread: Gas vs Diesel
View Single Post
  #3   IP: 67.174.241.46
Old 10-19-2004, 03:26 AM

gas Vs.Diesel

Having worked on everything from 5,000 HP MTU diesels down to the 30 hp A-4's I can say the A-4 is a pleasure to work on as long as you have decent access. I think most complaints form anti-A-4 folks are the ones that don't take care of them or use the "It's now broke so I guess it's time to fix it" approach. Neglect is the enemy of any mechanical device and I see it so often.

The cost of a diesel refit in a 1925 boat is going to run about $8,000 + when all is said and done (new engine mounts, new prop, maybe a shaft, shift/throttle controls, gauge panel, wiring, fuel lines, return line fitting to tank, etc.). So, ask yourself, is it worth it? And will I get my money back? Frankly, probably not.

If I had my choice and my boat (1972 Ericson 35) came with a diesel, I'd be fine with that, but it has an A-4 and I have no intention of switching. Yeah, it needs a tune up now and then, but the costs are minimal compared to rebuilding an injection pump or injectors or other diesel issues that pop up now and then (priming, fuel must be immaculately clean, etc.).

In 6 years now with the A-4 I have had minimal problems, but I look after it.

If I was going around the world, or very long distance, I'd contemplate another boat with a diesel but never refit my current boat as I'd never get my money back. But if you are like me and put on 125-150 hours (max) a year in just docking and getting in/out of the marina, that's not much time on an engine. Yes Diesels are generally built heavier duty, but that comes with a price, Mo Money.

As for safety, I have no concerns about the gas in my boat as long as the fuel tank is robust, fuel lines are inspected regularily, the bilge is checked for fuel as well. Plus run blower before starting! Personally, I open the engine hatch when starting to verify no leaks, odd noises, or other issues. Good engineering and safety practice.

Diesels may get a little better fuel economy, (my A-4 is at about 3/4 gallon an hour at full throttle on my boat - 13,000 lbs.) but the one triple set of 3,300 HP diesels I was overseeing burned 130 gallons an HOUR EACH! and with three of them at full bore it was 400 gallons an hour at 30 knots. I kid you not, the fuel lines were one inch in diameter to each engine! That's burning fuel!

Hope that answers some concerns, if not pop me off some more questions.