View Single Post
  #9   IP: 184.0.19.114
Old 07-24-2016, 11:10 AM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurban View Post
Should I keep burnishing the seat till I'm blue in the face?
Should I adjust the float level for a lower fuel level in the bowl? I thought I remembered reading about a recommended "lower fuel level than than spec" float setting. How is this measured exactly?
Should I pull the float and set in boiling water?
All of the above? I'm beginning to think that this is the correct answer . . .
Eric-
As John said, the factory setting is 1 5/32" to the bottom of the float.
The part you remembered reading about setting a lower level was on Dave's recommendation.
I'll quote him here for your benefit... (hope you don't mind Dave )

"I suggest that if anything, you set the float a bit HIGH @ 1 3/16~1 5/32.
These adjustments are important to control the emulsion wells that mix air into the fuel to break it up! The factory adjustment specs are 1 5/32 +/_ 1/32" which is why you need it to be as parallel as possible. I run mine at 1 7/32 and like the way it performs."

Because you don't actually know what your float level is set at, would be enough for me to open the carb up yet again (I know, frustrating) to check and set it to a known level.

I agree with John that the height of your fuel tank likely creates too much pressure and overwhelms the needle valve.
That would answer your question as to why the bench test didn't give you the same results.
Putting a shutoff valve just before the carb would fix this and is a good safety measure to boot.
Another simple test would be to use a temporary alternate fuel supply (5 gal fuel can) and have it at a lower level than your current tank. See if you still get the fuel overflow.
If you want to go thru the exercise just as an experiment.

QUESTION: Is your carb a FOUR bolt or a FIVE?

Keep at it, you're almost there.

'Lone Ranger'

1978 RANGER 30