X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sastanley
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2008

I don't know this for sure, but I think you risk exposing the oil system if there is no pump attached to the back of the accessory drive. I am pretty sure engine oil lubricates the shaft up to the first shaft seal inside the pump.

A block off plate, similar to what is used when the mech. fuel pump is removed in favor of electric, may fix that problem. You'd have to fabricate something I think..not sure a 'water pump delete plate' exists.
    Last edited by sastanley; 04-28-2021, 01:13 PM.
    -Shawn
    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
    sigpic

Comment

• tritonyawl2
      • Apr 2007

I think that plate would be easy to make and I would use the same gasket that is used for the pump. One question is whether the pump can turn counter clockwise as I believe the flywheel turns? If not, my plan won't work.

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

The pump can turn either way but your inlet and outlet ports reverse.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• tritonyawl2
          • Apr 2007

Moyer PTO pump is the answer

I finally installed the Moyer PTO pump and removed the very hard-to-reach leaking Oberdorffer pump. Had a 1/4 inch steel plate custom-made to cover that hole (a rectangle would not fit). Had to tap the bottom bolt hole (had been using Moyer's long bolt). Replaced and re-routed all the hoses. To replace the hose that goes into the water jacket, I had to remove the water jacket. Discovered two water jacket bolts that were stripped. So installed two Moyer replacements (unfortunately at two different times

Replaced the pipe that goes into the water jacket with a longer one so I can actually reach the hose clamp. This makes checking the oil a little harder, but much peace of mind that I can now tighten or replace the hose clamp anytime.

The engine runs great on the hard. Just waiting for the truck to splash the boat. The Moyer kit to mount the PTO pump is very well designed. I should have done this years ago. All these years of worrying about and cursing the old waterpump and it's location. Now I can check or replace the impellar or even the pump in a few minutes without swearing. I'm half way to a fresh water cooling system, but am in no hurry at least not this year.

Just wanted to wrap up this story and thank all those who helped including those on the forum and Don Moyer and Ken and Tom Stevens. Ready for a summer of sailing fun and adventures!

Comment

Working...
          X