View Single Post
  #13   IP: 68.129.89.87
Old 04-20-2021, 10:16 PM

Update

Bolted up the shaft and saw the engine wobble back and forth with each rev. as the prop was turning slowly as I ran it in neutral. I unbolted the shaft and put a dial indicator on both flanges and they are running true =/-.002", but that they now seemed pretty badly (2mm) misaligned.

I tried to tighten the nuts that hold the engine to the stringers, and realized that the hangar bolts had pulled loose. What I seem to have done when working on the rear bearing was to shift the engine causing the misalignment. So I glued a dowel into the old hole and reinstalled the hangar bolts, then tried to shift the engine around to realign the shaft.

What i discovered was the the starboard stringer on my T30, which is just to port of the centerline of the boat, was wobbling around badly, obviously broken free form the hull, with the wooden core likely rotten from rainwater and snow melt in the bilge likely.

It makes aligning it impossible, but I did it as well as I could. How much does the engine weigh? Anybody have any experience moving one to replace the stringers? Also, this set up, with the engine sitting directly on the stringers without mounts seems less than ideal.
The Following User Says Thank You to nesdon For This Useful Post:
TimBSmith (04-24-2021)