View Single Post
  #1   IP: 24.189.38.112
Old 03-18-2011, 09:44 PM

problem with reversing gear.

Last summer I had a problem with my reversing gear. It is now almost spring and I have gone back to the boat to work on the reversing gear. I had dropped the nut that is loosened to adjust the gear into the tranny housing. I got a magnet to search for the nut. I got the nut out, but the magnet broke off as I was getting the nut off and fell in. So I went with another magnet to get the first magnet. Then both fell in. Meanwhile I got my nut so I put it on and played around with the adjustment. (its not a nut but a bolt.) I feel like a nut. I had a problem with the transmission going into gear. Meanwhile I had two magnets down in casing. Now the disks are out of the gear thing and I am trying to get the transmission out. I am going through the rear. I took off the coupling and I am working on the big nut on the back of the tranny. I cant get it off. I have the tool to get it off, but I cannot hold it while I turn. AM I Turning left to loosen? (Lefty loosy , righty tighty). I have taken the bolts from the coupling and screwed them in tightly to hold the thing but it does not go. Not even with a good hammering. got suggestions. Weremeer Thanks.