View Single Post
  #10   IP: 8.19.13.19
Old 06-04-2012, 02:27 PM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Back To The Outboard Idea For A Moment......

I used to own a Columbia 24 that had an outboard that mounted in a well in the lazarette. Here's a few issues to consider before you proceed:

(1) Is 6 HP enough to push your boat into the wind and swells in your area? My 6 HP barely did the job.
(2) Which leads to: Any outboard larger than 6 HP is almost too heavy to lift in and out of the well.
(3) Which leads to: You will most likely have to lift the outboard out of the well while you are sailing because: (a) Water will splash up into the power head - they don't start to well when they get soggy. You might be able to rig up some kind of a collar to prevent this but you'll have to install it every time you put put the engine in. (b) If you leave the outboard in the water while you are sailing there will be a lot of drag and sea weed catching potential.

So:
If you use the outboard to go into and out of the harbor or mooring it will probably work depending on your area. If you use your boat frequently or motor long distances an outboard won't be satisfactory.
Lifting the outboard in and out of the well is a pain. How's your back? Don't forget you will be doing this when the boat is rocking in the swell.
If the outboard needs maintenance or repair you simply take it home or to the shop. Easy to do

TRUE GRIT

Last edited by JOHN COOKSON; 06-04-2012 at 03:04 PM. Reason: can't spell my way out of a paper bag today!