Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobinSF
    • Oct 2008

While needle scaling the head, I created/exposed a hole into the water passage (pic). It seems to me that on this flat surface, I can do a durable repair by: making an inside and outside steel cover plate each with a centered small bolt hole, removing the adjacent freeze plug, placing the inside plate and nut, gooping JW Weld in the hole and plate surfaces, placing the outside plate and bolt, and tightening the bolt and nut to form the JW Weld to seal the hole. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Al Schober
      Afourian MVP
      • Jul 2009

Bobin,
      That's an ugly picture. Was the PO of this engine using it for a mooring? I hate to say so, but I suspect you're going to find additional holes when you progress with the needle gun.
      I recommend you consider a different head. Our host sells new ones, and used ones are available on eBay now and then. Depends on your budget. I had a couple of spares but got rid of them when I moved two years ago. Perhaps one of the other denizens of this board has a spare head - anyone? I suggest you start directing your efforts toward getting that head off rather than removing the rust from it or repairing it. Scrap value is higher with the rust..

Comment

• Boat
        • Aug 2014

Ditto the above, call the coroner on that one.
        '69 Newport 30 MKI Hull #20

Comment

• Easy Rider
          Afourian MVP
          • Feb 2007

My opinion for what it's worth is that head is toast. You might get a few more hours out of it with your repair but the rest of it can't be far behind for failing. My abvise. Save yourself a lot of grief, bite the bullet and buy or find a new head. I played around for awhile with different heads of questionable ingetegrity without much success until I purchased a new one from our host and then relaxed and never looked back.
          Chuck

71 Ranger 29

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

There's no reason to expect that was the only thin spot. All the passages are the same age and subjected to the same water.
            Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California
            prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
            Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• joe_db
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

Including the block

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
              There's no reason to expect that was the only thin spot. All the passages are the same age and subjected to the same water.
              Joe Della Barba
              Coquina
              C&C 35 MK I
              Maryland USA

Comment

• BobinSF
                • Oct 2008

Finishing, hopefully, my broken manifold studs adventure, I completed the needle gunning and Dremel rotary brushing of rust down to bare metal without creating/findng any more holes. So I patched the hole in the head as described in my 3-01 post (pic, patch at center). I then primed and painted and reattached the manifold and mixing elbow. The engine now runs fine. As several responders warned, more holes may occur.
                Attached Files

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                  Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                  • Nov 2008

Originally posted by BobinSF View Post
                  As several responders warned, more holes may occur.
                  I'll send good karma your way and hope you have many happy hours of good motoring.
                  If karma doesn't work there is always FWC.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• joe_db
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

Originally posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
                    I'll send good karma your way and hope you have many happy hours of good motoring.
                    If karma doesn't work there is always FWC.

TRUE GRIT
                    As much of a huge PITA as it was, I love knowing the block now holds glycol, not salt water and random small sea creatures
                    Joe Della Barba
                    Coquina
                    C&C 35 MK I
                    Maryland USA

Comment

Working...
                    X