View Single Post
  #13   IP: 138.207.177.95
Old 01-30-2023, 11:17 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 1,026 Times in 721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaktown27 View Post
Appreciate the help to date. Now that California has dried out a bit I have finished a bunch of other maintenance.

Put in a bypass valve and replaced the impeller.
Scraped the hull near the intake to clear any blockage.
Confirmed I have flow and the cooling issue is resolved!

I still have a power issue. After starting up the motor, applying more power continues to cause the motor to "bogg down" and hesitate. Interestingly, when I reapplied the choke when this was happening the engine came back to life. I am thinking this is a sign of a fuel problem. Think a carb clean is next? I did replace the fuel filter. Thoughts?

Also notice my exhaust riser was damp and under further investigation, pulled the heat wrap off and this is totally rusted with a split in it. I think I have seen home grown solutions and that MM sells this. Any thoughts on the best route here?

Thanks
Pete
Riser making is a chore we all do. I use black iron 1-1/4" plumbing from the local store plus a Moyer flange. There are a ton of threads on this.
Tell use what diameter hose you have for the exhaust and how far up you can go vertically from the exhaust manifold and we can provide some suggestions.
Moyer has various bits to help. I have taken to getting a stainless hose to pipe adapter, the cheap way of using an iron close nipple always seemed to end like the photo shows.
Also note if the DRY section is rusting out, you have problems!
Attached Images

Maryland USA

Last edited by joe_db; 01-30-2023 at 11:23 AM.