Engine will not crank, even with ignition hand button.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 68PearsonRenegade
    • Apr 2022

Engine will not crank, even with ignition hand button.

Dropped in another A4 into my boat. 2 battery system, brand new batteries. Perko 1,2,both switch, link 10 monitor on a shunt, and a solid state isolator. It's a simple 2 battery system that I think I have my head wrapped around. Problem is the ignition switch does nothing. To troubleshoot this I got a push button ignition switch and attached it to the correct terminals. I heard a very faint clicking noise in the solenoid but it barely reacted to getting power. Seemed like it wasnt getting much power at all... scratching my head big time on this one. I'll draw up a schematic on the system and post it later.
    68 Pearson Renegade- undergoing refit, soon to be sailing the rocky coasts of Maine.
    -Schooner Crew-
    Yachties wear gloves, Schooner crew grow their own ;)
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Troubleshooting 101, first step at the source.

What is the voltage at the battery posts at rest? Same test, same place when the starter button is pushed?
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• 68PearsonRenegade
      • Apr 2022

Thank you for that. I busted out my multimeter copy of this old boat and reread the electrical section. I'm sitting in front of the engine now and battery tested 12.6, starter terminal tested 12.6, push button ignition switch test under 1v when pushed.. so that's an issue. The solenoid is indeed getting basically no power when the circuit is completed. How should I go about troubleshooting this? From my understanding I have an open circuit/bad ground somewhere in the circuit correct?
      Thanks again, as always.
      I really really look forwards to posting a video of this engine running like a top in here.
      68 Pearson Renegade- undergoing refit, soon to be sailing the rocky coasts of Maine.
      -Schooner Crew-

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Did you take the voltage tests at the battery posts like I asked? There's a reason for it.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California

Comment

• Antibes
          • Jun 2011

Bad crimp or wire connections

Comment

• 68PearsonRenegade
            • Apr 2022

Sure did. The posts read 12.67
            -Schooner Crew-

Comment

• Dave Neptune
              Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
              • Jan 2007

Do you have a nice big fat ground strap on the motor to the batteries negative side?

Dave Neptune

Comment

• ndutton
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

Originally posted by 68PearsonRenegade View Post
                Sure did. The posts read 12.67
                Excellent. As Antibes said, your problem is in the battery cables or their terminations/connections, either positive or negative or both. This includes the battery switch connections and possibly the shunt.
                Neil
                1977 Catalina 30
                San Pedro, California

Comment

• 68PearsonRenegade
                  • Apr 2022

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
                  Do you have a nice big fat ground strap on the motor to the batteries negative side?

Dave Neptune
                  I have the negatives to both batteries connected to the monitor shunt and a main ground off of that.
                  You think I should have a ground on the starting battery negative to the block also?
                  -Schooner Crew-

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                    • Jan 2007

With 2 lines you should be fine. Did you "unplug" the trailer type plug on the engine harness? They are notorious for lots of trouble. Could easily be a poor connection or switch too.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• 68PearsonRenegade
                      • Apr 2022

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
                      With 2 lines you should be fine. Did you "unplug" the trailer type plug on the engine harness? They are notorious for lots of trouble. Could easily be a poor connection or switch too.

Dave Neptune
                      was never one to unplug. The wiring is all redone so nothing is color coded or original. A lot of janky splices off of stuff. In the future I want to clean it up. Its been a real guessing game and wire tracing adventure.
                      I'm going to try adding another ground and also testing the areas posted above.
                      -Schooner Crew-

Comment

• 68PearsonRenegade
                        • Apr 2022

One other tidbit. The prop shaft is not connected to the engine... Does this effect its grounding? Its also on the hard so not in water. I'm no expert here but doesnt all of that essentially mean my engine block is not grounded at all?
                        -Schooner Crew-

Comment

• Surcouf
                          • May 2018

prop shaft / being on the hard should not have any impact..;

just in case, a nice thread
                          Surcouf
                          A nostalgic PO - Previously "Almost There" - Catalina 27 (1979)

Comment

• 68PearsonRenegade
                            • Apr 2022

I left out my panel, fuel pump and solenoid. Heres a rough schematic of my system. I've been testing things this morning and once again noticed that the voltage drops to basically zero once I complete the "s" and hot wire circuit from the switch. The voltage is there... it's going somewhere.. just not into the solenoid.
                            One other thing to note, while testing my isolator(engine off) I notice around 8 volts at the input terminal coming from the ammeter/alternator... seems strange it would have any power when the alternators off..
                            -Schooner Crew-

Comment

• 68PearsonRenegade
                              • Apr 2022

Heres the schematic
                              Attached Files
                              -Schooner Crew-

Comment

Working...
                              X