View Single Post
  #5   IP: 209.6.152.28
Old 07-18-2022, 03:34 PM
Afourian MVP

Update 1. Issue unresolved. Making progress.

Thank you for all the notes. Feed. Running hot. Salts. Flush. Normal heat gain. Reaming hoses and fittings. Testing flows of hose segments starting with feed. Roger.

Water pressure gauge in my future. I also read a lot into historical threads last night.

A couple hours with the cooling system today and one observation from trouble shooting yesterday. More work to be done.

Observation yesterday.
1) I recalled and meant to add that yesterday removing the basket filter top was significantly more difficult than normal. It (filter) was completely empty of water and felt as if under strong vacuum pressure when I finally removed the top there was a noticeable hiss as the vacuum cleared. So without jumping to conclusions or cutting diagnostic short, I started to think the feed had been block by something.

Observations and steps today.
1) I made a first attempt at reseating the backing plate to the water pump. And inspecting the water pump weep hole etc.
-The plate was not seated correctly yesterday, the round gasket was not set into its channel.
-Set the gasket and retightened plate with thump screws. Got this result. After startup.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/5LF1Aaje2UAYXXHY6
Clearly have to go back in and reseat again and see if I can figure why thumb screw leaking (gasket did not look damaged). Wondering if the plate gets worn into a certain registration and if I don't get it right when replacing it might not seal well.
-There is no sign of weeping or seeping of oil or water at the pump seep hole. See video above.

2) Restart. There was water flow through basket and there was water batching and exiting the exhaust. The water pressure in the basket was anemic compared to all prior startups and historical observations. The basket was barely filling 1/2 way up. Head temp quickly raised to 150 to 170 within a few minutes of startup. Shut down.

3) Aside from the poorly sealing water pump backing plate, which is not helping pressure. Next trip to boat I will see about:
-Reseating (again) the pump plate.
-a method to try and flush out the feed, apply pressure and test flow at the feed through hull. I have a hose connector T'd in so maybe I will block the feed hose toward the strainer and plumb my backup bilge pump to it and a water source. First blow water out, then suck water in.
-a method to bring water source to pump intake without using strainer flow. Plumb around strainer and feed to see if batching flow increased.
-methods for clearing hoses and choke points. Hanger etc.
(I replaced all of the hoses to the waterjacket inlet and the diverter valve to thermostat in the off season. Replaced hoses had zero build up. Though that, I know, is only part of the bracketing.
-main choke points with hose access are water jacket injector, L at the thermostat housing, then the manifold fitting. Others?
-consider other flush options while on my mooring.

I will update when I have more done. Please continue insights and guidance will adjust as I work from feed to manifold. Until next. Stay well.
1974, Number 572
Boston, MA USA