View Single Post
  #8   IP: 155.186.122.195
Old 01-28-2021, 12:00 PM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
Nice boat. If you have the engine under the dinette it's not to bad.

I made a spring collapsing tool out of a big C-clamp. I used the threaded end over the valve and cut a notch into to other end to clear the retainers. I have very strong hands and when frustrated with working the tool I actually collapsed many of the springs by hand. I don't really recommend this unless you have really tough hands. I did not replace the springs as it is a direct drive so the RPM's are far lower that the rated 3500.

Spraying the retainers with a bit of carb or brake cleaner a few times then a bit of w WD-40 or some kind of Liquid Wrench can often loosen the varnish for easier removal. Do spray the exposed valve stem as the liquids will run down the valve stem as well as from the bottom. Let them soak for a day or two if you can.

As far as access I did a mod to my engine box which made a huge difference. I worked with F/G a lot so I glassed the corners on the inside and removed the wood braces at the top of the box. That was wort while as it really eased access to the engine all the way around. There are a few pics on this site of the engine so you can see what I did.

Dave Neptune
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave Neptune For This Useful Post:
ArtJ (01-28-2021), ronstory (01-28-2021), TimBSmith (01-29-2021)