View Single Post
  #12   IP: 148.170.241.1
Old 09-08-2011, 02:38 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by domenic View Post
I LIKERUST....

I read that some years ago. It is not correct. Testing on the matter started in 1945 from data taken from the Germans.
It seems if I post it is day time, you would say it is night. If you have some sort of problem with me, stop talking around your elbow to get to your thumb, and spit it out.
Wow, don't know where this came from.

I have no problem with you. I also don't beat around the bush and have no hidden agenda or ulterior motive. I am merely stating the facts regarding galvanic corrosion. If I see someone post something that I believe to be incorrect, I see nothing wrong with submitting information I believe to be more correct. It has nothing to do with who posted it. It seemed to me from your previous post there was some misunderstanding on your part as to what galvanic corrosion actually is and what causes it, particularly when you stated that certain things "give off" electrolysis and that eels draw it from salt water. These statements are incorrect.

I don't know what your'e referring to with any of your most recent statements above - in particular, what is it that you're saying "is not correct"?

As I mentioned above, even though everyone uses the term "electrolysis," the more correct term for what we're talking about is "galvanic corrosion." And as Hanley correctly points out, electrolysis actually is more correctly a term used to describe the splitting of water molecules into oxygen and hydrogen though the use of a cathode and an anode in solution with an applied electric current. This process was used as least as early as 1800. This is historical fact. The use of electricity applied to electrodes in an electrolytic solution to extract very pure metals from the solution has been in practice for over 100 years. That too is historical fact.

The fundamental principles of electrochemistry are the same, so in general the process of electrolysis is related to the process of galvanic corrosion, so everyone simply uses the term "electrolysis" to describe the process.

Your last post seems to be referring to the use of electrolysis to separate hydrogen from water, which can then be used as a fuel, such as in a hydrogen fuel cell. That is quite a different thing from what we're talking about here.

I have no desire to engage in a pi**ing match on an internet forum. Been there; done that; I've been on internet forums and mailing lists for over 15 years; it's completely fruitless and I'm over it. I think what's happened is a simple, old-fashioned misunderstanding. I see no need to take it as a personal attack, because I assure you it's not.

Relentless pursuer of lost causes