• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Surcouf
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • May 2018

Originally posted by 2dogsnight View Post
    Will make small adjustment to oil pressure with spring loaded relief valve. According to the book oil pressure should be 40psi........oil pressure is slowly getting lower from 50psi down to 30, will go back to 40 with higher throttle, but after few minutes will go back down
    Check the site poll on oil pressure: You are right on the sweet spot of that engine. Unless something else alarms you, there is likely nothing to do on oil pressure.

Regarding your packaing, you are bang on: if it does not overheat, and does not leak... why touch it? like you say in the US "if it ain't broken..."

Is your original concern your max boat speed, and why you cannot go faster? this is much more likely a prop & hull discussion than an engine one, as long as your engine goes up in rpm (which it does for now according to what you were saying)
    Surcouf
    A nostalgic PO - Previously "Almost There" - Catalina 27 (1979)

Comment

• 2dogsnight
      • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Surcouf View Post
      Check the site poll on oil pressure: You are right on the sweet spot of that engine. Unless something else alarms you, there is likely nothing to do on oil pressure.

Regarding your packaing, you are bang on: if it does not overheat, and does not leak... why touch it? like you say in the US "if it ain't broken..."

Is your original concern your max boat speed, and why you cannot go faster? this is much more likely a prop & hull discussion than an engine one, as long as your engine goes up in rpm (which it does for now according to what you were saying)
      I will have the boat on the "soft" in few hours (sandy tidal beach ) hopefully will get some answers

Comment

• 2dogsnight
        • Jun 2012

took "old" packing stuff out. Cleaned shaft with 220 and 800 grit paper. Cleaned nut inside and installed new packing.

used very little of marine grease to lubricate the shaft where the packing material was going to be. Then added a drop or two of engine oil ( I know, but I was desperate to make this work). Tightened the nut by hand.

First 10 minutes the nut was in 80's, after 20 min I was getting readings anywhere from 90 to 120 degrees. Shaft was in 80's up to a foot from the packing area......more than a foot the shaft was cool to the touch

Motor was running good, oil pressure was 40psi all the time.

Boat has stuff growing ,so that is slowing her down.
        Tomorrow will have to make that packing weep , need to have water going trough it. Maybe I have too much of packing material? There was very noticeable difference in friction between one and two packing rolls in the packing nut.
        Need shaft lubricant !! ??
        Attached Files

Comment

• joe_db
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

I think the seaweed is the problem here
          Joe Della Barba
          Coquina
          C&C 35 MK I
          Maryland USA

Comment

• joe_db
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Can I suggest you get a Moyer manifold pressure gauge? It makes it quite easy to detect issues that load the engine like a foul bottom or bad stuffing box.

Last edited by joe_db; 09-10-2021, 08:56 AM.
            Joe Della Barba
            Coquina
            C&C 35 MK I
            Maryland USA

Comment

• edwardc
              Afourian MVP
              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by 2dogsnight View Post
              ... Maybe I have too much of packing material? There was very noticeable difference in friction between one and two packing rolls in the packing nut...
              Aha! I think we have a clue. You probably have the wrong diameter packing, rather than too much. Properly sized packing should take three rings of packing. I had something similar happen when I tried to use 1/4" packing on my system. It got hot, and even with the nut hand loose , it wouldn't drip. Dropped down to 3/16" and everything worked as its supposed to.
              @(^.^)@ Ed
              1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
              with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• 2dogsnight
                • Jun 2012

Ed, I am going to get 3/16 packing and shaft lubricant and re do packing again. This is very exiting!!!! I think you're right, especially that you've same experience!!

Joe, the only gage I don't have is vacuum.

So I am thinking that the shaft packing along with growth on the bottom causes max speed drop. We will find out soon.

Now off to find 3/16 packing material and shaft lubricant.

Thank you guys!!

Comment

• edwardc
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Aug 2009

I found this mini pick set to be very useful in digging out old packing:

Amazing deals on this 4Pc Mini Pick & Hook Set at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.
                  @(^.^)@ Ed
                  1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
                  with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• W2ET
                    Former Admin
                    • Oct 2008

Somewhere on this forum is a link to a very well done video on how to do this.

How to cut the strips, how to orient them versus one another, etc. I remember that the site had a bunch of great content, including how to rebed stanchions, and more.

Bill
                    Last edited by W2ET; 09-13-2021, 11:26 AM.

Comment

• Surcouf
                      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                      • May 2018

Originally posted by W2ET View Post
                      Somewhere on this forum is a link to a very well done video on how to do this.

How to cut the strips, how to orient them versus one another, etc. I remember that the site had a bunch of great content, including how to rebed stanchions, and more.

Bill
                      Keeping the water on the outside of the boat is essential. Here's how an inboard-powered boat gets a shaft from the inside to the outside.

Surcouf
                      A nostalgic PO - Previously "Almost There" - Catalina 27 (1979)

Comment

• W2ET
                        Former Admin
                        • Oct 2008

That's it. Here!

Thanks, Surcouf!

Bill

Comment

• 2dogsnight
                          • Jun 2012

Thank you guys!!

did the deed an hour ago. Tide today is only +7ft, but it was today or not for another week. Smaller packing goes in much easier and was able to get in 3 of them. We will see if there will be a leakage tonight
                          Attached Files

Comment

• sastanley
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Sep 2008

2dogs...
                            Just FYI..When I re-did my stuffing box (also replaced the cutlass bearing, and the shaft) I was only able to get 2 rings of the graphite packing into my new stuffing box, and I have it set pretty much to be dripless, even though they recommend 3. I have had zero issues with only two. At the beginning of the season I grab the bronze to make sure it is not too hot.

edit - NICE! I missed the posts on page 2...let's hope you are good to go..again..if you can hold onto the bronze nut, it is cool enough I think.
                            Last edited by sastanley; 09-13-2021, 09:48 PM.
                            -Shawn
                            "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                            sigpic

Comment

• 2dogsnight
                              • Jun 2012

took my boat for a spin today. Temp went up to 110 degrees by the end of 1/2 hour trip. Didn't do any nut adjustments, I will do it in a day or two. Consider it good !
                              Thank you everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X