View Single Post
  #3   IP: 165.225.20.153
Old 09-08-2021, 04:31 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

hello,

I did a partial overhaul of mine during first Covid period, and since then moved back to Europe. I had limited experience with engine before, and did it alone; but without that forum, that would not have been possible. I strongly recommend keeping the A4

So my first reaction would be:
- is the shaft turning, or is the engine locked?
- perform the block pressure test, then the manifold pressure test.
- if shaft is turning, and block are not leaking, then yes, next step would be to change oil, drop a new battery, make sure nothing starts burning (be ready to disconnect battery, as you know nothing of the electrical system at this point), crank the block. Check for plugs spark
- then install a temp fuel line from a bucket and try to start. all that without water

If the engine cranks and does not leak, you should keep it, buy MM manual and perform full engine maintenance, including both pumps (fuel and water).

There is always a debate on running a water pump with a old dry impeller... it could break and send small pieces of impeller in the cooling system. Many (including me) would just use the old impeller for testing the engine, but others had bad experience chasing pieces of impellers in the cooling ... being VERY careful not to flood your engine (direct exhaust or riser?)you can also by-pass the pump with a water hose that you crank open once engine runs. I let the others chip in.

It is going to be a fun trip, good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Surcouf For This Useful Post:
TimBSmith (09-08-2021)