View Single Post
  #4   IP: 174.31.153.186
Old 09-14-2015, 01:34 AM

starter solenoid replacement

I have a P30 and just today I replaced my starter solenoid. You do need to remove the starter, I wouldn't even try to replace it with the starter on the engine. Access to get the starter out can be a challenge. Remove all of the cabinetry in front of the engine that you can and it will be a lot easier. The wiring on the back of the solenoid can be removed with socket wrenches, take your time and use a mirror to see what it looks like as you work on it. Just make sure the battery of off. There may be some corrosion on the terminals so use a little oil to make sure things are loosened up (this is the reason I am replacing my solenoid, the terminal snapped off when I tried to loosen the nut). The starter is very heavy and it is hard to handle at an arms length; be sure to put something soft under it to protect the hull of the boat in case you drop it.

I bought the solenoid from Moyer Marine. It did not come with instructions so I had to figure it out. There is a tab on solenoid that inserts into the body of the starter. You remove the two Philips screws and the electrical connection. The electrical connection is a hex head bolt with a 5/16 head. To remove the solenoid from the starter you have to first twist it to get the tab out of its slot. Installation of the new solenoid is the reverse process.

Good Luck!