View Single Post
  #1   IP: 65.196.51.10
Old 09-09-2015, 09:16 AM

Pearson 30 solenoid accessibility

Hi everybody -

Sometimes when I press the starter button the solenoid does not fully engage and/or worse, the solenoid partially engages and seems to gets stuck half-way shutting off all the DC power in the whole boat.

After doing research. checking the batteries and seeing the condition of some of the wiring I realize that I need to clean up all the wire connections I can, and, if possible, also install a new solenoid.

Problem is on the Pearson 30 the solenoid is halfway between the front access panel and the back opening behind the engine. As a result it seems to be almost completely impossible to reach the back of the solenoid to remove the wires. (I have the freshwater cooling which doesn't help.)

I was able to remove the two screws that hold on the solendoid but even though I get it to wiggle I was not able to take it off probably due to being unable to remove the cables from the back of the solenoid.

Has anyone been able to reach those cables in the back of the solenoid on the Pearson 30? If so, I would be greatful for any ideas, special tools you used, holes you sawed into the side of the boat :=). Removing the cabinetry in front of engine and/or taking out the batteries does not look like it will help

Thanks again for any ideas.

Chris