View Single Post
  #16   IP: 166.137.244.87
Old 09-07-2015, 08:09 PM
Frequent Contributor

Similar problem w/ Vid and story.

Hello all!

I'm new to the community as I just acquired a 1975 C&C 30 from my step father.

The boat was not maintained for 5+ years until my twin and I decided to take it off his hand this season. Its been 4 months worth of weekend work on BlueChip with, steady, visible progress - Except for the engine.

The engine has been a problem child on this project. here is a short story that leads to my post today.

4 months ago my brother and I came down from NY to Solomans Island, MD. to take a look at BlueChip. We fell in love and wanted to take on the project of restoring her. She wasn't in bad shape, but she was neglected for 5+ Years.

We started with the engine, as we didn't know how much money the engine will need to start and make reliable again. after a survey of the engine and 2 weekends worth of work; Fuel tank empty/clean , fuel system check, Carb cleaning, Oil and other regular tune up tasks.

It ran! we were surprised. Even the marina mechanic was somewhat surprised.

Fast forward 2 weeks. We come back down from NY and the engine wouldn't start. It would turn over, starter motor worked and it was getting fuel. after a quick weekend of tinkering... Nothing! it just wouldn't start. (No real work was done on the engine)

2 Weeks ago we come down from NY again, with the only task on our list being the engine - During the long period between we had the boat hauled, bottom cleaned and painted, full rig inspection, replacement of all running rigging.

Work started at 6AM that Friday. the fuel was again syphoned out and we put in new gasoline (Checked the tank and it was still clean). checked the fuel lines and carb with nothing notable to show for it. I decided to clean the Carb one more time, and the engine started.

We left the engine on for 20 - 30 mins and it ran smoothly on low to mid RPM. No coughing or anything. as the engine ran my brother and I were checking all water lines, gas lines, exhaust, etc to make all was in order.

We found that the water pump was leaking profusely and the exhaust system was pretty much made of dust. THAT didn't phase us, as the engine was now running and running smoothly.

Fast forward to Labor Day weekend. It was a busy couple of weeks in NY but we managed to rebuild a new exhaust (W/ MMI purchased Flange, brass fittings, wrap, heat paint, etc.) and we purchased a new MMI water pump (It looks so nice and clean... love it.) The time had finally come... we left a smoothly running engine with minor problems and now we are back with the solutions.

We started work at 6AM on the Friday before Labor Day. It was a great day. Pump went on with no problems (other than a thru hull valve that snapped clean in half BUT it was replaced.) The exhaust was also installed with no problems to mention, other than it was a tight fit.

We held our breath and started the engine. Just like two weeks back, it started immidiialtey and ran smoothly. We decided to do a 'reliability' test. The test lasted an hr and 20 mins. During this test we did the following.

- Adjusted the idle speed. (No Tachometer)
- Made sure that with forward/ reverse were engaged, the engine didn't stall. (it stalled once due to a low idle speed)
- Ran in forward, on the dock, for 30 mins and reverse for 30 mins.
- No leaks to speak of
- No exhaust or gas smell.

It would be good to mention that in the first 20 mins the engine was started and stopped 5-7 times. All the restarts were immediate and smooth. the following hr was used to run the engine under load and to check the transmission forward and reverse gears. All checked out other than a drip leak at the stuffing box (This will get fixed soon.)

Sept 6th was the day we walked up to our boat and said " Lets take her out on motor and enjoy our boat on the water and away from the dock for the first time."

We get to BlueChip at 7AM on sept 6th full of hope and excitement.

Started the engine as we prepared an anchor (just incase) and prepared the jib and main just incase things went so smooth we decide to actually sail.

Engine ran for about 20 mins then sputtered ever so smoothly and slowly to a stop. We didn't think much of it until we tried to start it again. The engine wouldn't start, It would run for 2-5 seconds then sputter slowly to a stop. The engine would also start, run for 10 secs but didn't seem to respond to the throttle lever at all (both from helm and the carb.) We tried to run it 5 times with the same thing happening. There were no loud sounds or abrupt engine stopping.

The day ended with the engine NOT running.

Labor Day. Yet again all the projects on the boat come to a halt due to the engine.

after a few tests, there was no luck with the engine. So i took this Video to show you what i mean with "the engine sputters slowly to a stop" when we try to run it. Apologies on the long video but it shows the times we tried to start the engine and the sputtering of the engine.

at the end of this video, as my brother says " are you sure its getting gas... Does that sound like its getting gas to you?" I thought of looking at the gas lines again. I tracked it yet again from the tank. all checked out until I reached the carb.

The fuel pump was pushing fuel into the carb (Tested this by disconnecting the inlet and trying to start the engine.) Then removed the gas line entering to the engine from the carb and ran the engine again. This time there was no gas at the inlet of the engine. So I went one step further by checking the outlet of the carb (on the bottom). ran the engine again, there was no gas coming out of the carb.

The few questions i have are.

- How can it run for over an hr the day before and just not want to start again?
- The Carb was cleaned just this morning. Can it be the jets?
- Carb is spanking clean (although it can probably use a rebuild.) Should i rebuild or buy a new one ( keep in mind that the cost of a new one is not stopping me from buying one.)
- What other problems could i be facing other than the carb at this point?
- Does anyone else hear anything unusual in the video as the engine is trying to start?

I apologize for the long post. Just want to make sure you guys have a clear idea of what has been going on. I've read many posts and it seems like the community is really knowledgable and helpful.

I will be back in Solomans next week to work on the engine. Any input/test/parts that you would suggest can/ will happen then.

Thank you all again for your time.

B.