View Single Post
  #13   IP: 32.211.28.40
Old 09-06-2015, 10:17 PM
Afourian MVP

Sounds to me like the first thing to eliminate is water in the fuel. Dumping 6oz into a coffee cup isn't telling you anything. What you need is a gallon from the very bottom of your tank into a clear jug. Then you'll be able to see what's there.
I don't know your tank arrangement - in my case I'm able to get to the very bottom through the fill using a 6' piece of PEX tubing. A Jabsco hand pump moves the fuel into the jug. Easy to see what you have. If your tank bottom is not accessible from the fill, you'll have to add a port in the top of the tank. Make it easy to get to, as you'll probably want to check your tank annually.
I'm guessing you'll find two layers. The top layer is fuel - put it back into the tank. The bottom layer is a mix of water, alcohol, and crud - dispose of it. Side benefit of this effort is that your gas tank is now alcohol free - you've dumped it with the water!
I've been preaching this sermon a lot in the last year - based on my own experience. I don't want to count the sailing days I've lost due to water in the gas, clogged main jets, clogged float valves, and overflowing carbs. The clogs due to corrosion products from the water. Even a marine Racor filter has steel in it that will corrode and send crud downstream to the carb.