X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sailingchance
    • Oct 2012

Need help asap

Sorry for the dramatic title but I am in a precarious spot. I am in the bahamas and the A4 has been running like a top. Before I left 2 months ago, I installed a rebuilt the starter and replaced the entire ignition system, solenoid, points, condensor, etc. I have had no problem starting.

Today while anchoring the engine was running fine. We set the hook, I shut down the engine and a minute later I noticed some drag. I started the engine again and she wouldnt start.

I noticed the battery was drained (meaning it wasn't charging) but with my wind and solar cranking it was still at 12.6. I waited 15 minutes and tried to restart with batteries at 12.9 and still nothing. The solenoid IS CLICKING but that is all it is doing. I have 12v at the coil. Everything seems to be fine.

Do I need a new solenoid? I tried wacking it thinking it was stuck. No joy. There is nothing in the moyer manual about the solenoid or starter. Please help. We are in a tricking anchoring spot. I hooked the anchor on a rock which is holding for now. but I dont trust it all night.

THanks for your help! Jason
    "Sailor looking for wife. Must have boat. Please send picture of boat."

Jason // SV Chance
    http://www.facebook.com/SailingChance
  • sleonhard
    • Feb 2012

Have you tried jumping the terminals at the solenoid and are you getting power to the starter?
    sigpic

Comment

• sleonhard
      • Feb 2012

and make sure there is no other power drain on the battery while you are trying to crank it
      sigpic

Comment

• Dromo
        • Mar 2008

I would think if the solenoid is clicking its OK but the starter isn't turning over
        Maybe not enough juice . do you have a hand crank ?
        don't panic
        The forum usually start weighing In the next hour or so /
        5.50 pm hi in Ontario Canada
        good luck

Comment

• Dromo
          • Mar 2008

almost forgot try cleaning the battery terminals

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

At 12.9 volts static you should have plenty of battery power to start so as Dromo suggested carefully scrutinize the delivery system. Check and tighten all cable connections, grounds too.

An easy test to perform is the voltage to a good known ground on each high amperage post on the solenoid while the start button is engaged. The two posts I'm talking about are the one with the battery cable and the one directly under it with only the 5/16 machine screw through the strap going to the starter.
            • No voltage at the cable post = cable terminal problem.
            • Voltage at the cable post but not at the one below = internal solenoid contact problem.
            • Voltage at both posts = starter problem.

First I'd row out another anchor with the dinghy. Hang off of two hooks set at an angle.

Don't forget to be sure the ignition is switched off after every start attempt. The last thing you need right now is a cooked coil.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by ndutton; 03-17-2014, 07:51 PM. Reason: Added SOC chart
            Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California
            prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
            Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• sailingchance
              • Oct 2012

Thanks so far!

The battery has plenty of juice now. 13.1 The terminals are all clean (new wiring). I have tried jumping it at the starter, it clicks but that's it. Same as with the ignition key. I tried jumping at the coil and same result.

I do not have a hand crank unfortunately. IT's a V drive so the flywheel is backwards and in an awkward spot anyway. Dont thing I could crank it if I had to. Car I jerry rig a crank? (never tried).

Thanks for the help. The only sense of urgency is my anchoring predicament. We are not exactly "well set" and the winds are too high to try and use my dink to push it around! lol Always at the worst moment.

Would love more thoughts.
              "Sailor looking for wife. Must have boat. Please send picture of boat."

Jason // SV Chance
              http://www.facebook.com/SailingChance

Comment

• lat 64
                Afourian MVP
                • Oct 2008

Any way to confirm that the engine will turn? Like for instance, grab the shaft and rotate it? Just want to make sure it's not locked up.

Back to the starter; can it be removed for "bench testing" out in the cockpit?
                be careful if it comes to that. you will be making open sparks. Be fire safe.
                sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Mar 2010

If the situation has not changed this is what you can do now. First, every possible load on that battery should be eliminated and that means spending the night in the dark. If you have a wind generator that is your best hope now. Keep a deck watch and let the battery charge all it will. I would not make another attempt to start until daybreak unless you begin to drag. If you believe the alternator is not charging you should disconnect batt+ and cover the ring terminal on the wire with tape - it could be part of the problem. Solar and even wind chargers are of questionable value IMO. What you are seeing on the volt meter is likely a "surface" charge, not the real deal. You need time; hopefully the wind is spinning that charger. Nurse every milliamp until daybreak or you have no choice but to attempt a start.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Mar 2010

If you have not already done so, check battery water levels and replenish as necessary.

Comment

• sastanley
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Sep 2008

sc, Double check every connection. I re-wired the entire engine harness, and found some loose screws a few months later. My issue was at the ignition switch...Plenty of juice in the battery, but similar intermittent start issue.

Spend an hour in daylight to confirm every connection at the panel, battery, engine, starter, etc. are good and tight.
                      -Shawn
                      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                      sigpic

Comment

• msmith10
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Jun 2006

You can jerry rig a hand crank if you have some deep well sockets, a ratchet and a hacksaw. I think the nut on the end of the crankshaft is the same size as a large spark plug socket. Cut 2 V shaped grooves in the open end of the socket with one side of the V straight up and down so it will catch the roll pin, and the other side of the V at an angle so when the engine starts it will kick the socket out-- this is a backup safety in case your ratchet doesn't "ratchet".
                        Even with this setup be careful- turn the crank with an open hand, don't wrap fingers around the ratchet handle.
                        It takes very little swing to hand crank- just a few degrees is enough.
                        Mark Smith
                        1977 c&c30 Mk1 hailing from Port Clinton, Ohio

Comment

• romantic comedy
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2007

check the voltage at the starter terminal.

You want to do this with the key in start position and in run position. This would help to tell if the starter motor is getting juice and trying to turn the engine.

If the voltage drops significantly, it would mean that the motor is trying to spin the engine.

No drop would mean the starter motor is not getting any juice.

As a last chance, I would think about putting the cable from the battery right to the motor terminal... BY hand. Make sure the ground is hooked up and clean.

Comment

• marthur
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Dec 2004

I think the nut on the end of the crankshaft is the same size as a large spark plug socket.
                            I can confirm that a spark plug socket works well for this. I adapted a socket to roll (but not start) my spare engine in the garage. I have an actual hand crank for starting, though.

Think of this like a kick starter for your motorcycle. I have hand started a fair number of times (to practice and expirement). In all of my hand starts, the engine fires when one cylinder goes "over the top" of the compression stroke with any decent speed. Some times it would take a couple revolutions of the crank to get a couple of compressions in, but it might be do-able with a ratchet. For you the biggest issue is access.

My biggest worries when hand starting include backfires (not usually a problem with the a-4). Keep the mixture rich by using choke to help prevent this. The old timers I knew (now all sadly gone) who started model T's back in the day said to use your fingers but keep the thumb on the same side of the crank to help with safety.

The other issue is the starter disengaging from the crank. Be extra careful about this. Use a little grease or oil to help out.

Let us know how things turn out!

Mike
                            Mike

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                              Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                              • Jan 2007

Smack it right

Sailingchance, did you smack the starter with the key held to "START" when smacking it?????
                              Did you short across the solenoid directly with a screwdriver or such? I do not mean a jumper to activate the solenoid itself. Just because it's clicking does not mean it is making contact~~do it manually with the big screwdriver!

Dave Neptune

Comment

Working...
                              X