View Single Post
  #8   IP: 64.134.186.58
Old 02-11-2012, 04:44 PM
Afourian MVP Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndutton View Post
Can you report that although rusty the weights still moved freely before you spruced things up? If so I think any concern over a change in timing due to the advance mechanism is off the table.
Hard to tell. The advance would move, but I wouldn't say "freely".

Quote:
As far as the distributor work, it leaves an improperly seated cap as a possibility. I mentioned it because I've found I have to be careful when installing to be sure it's down where it belongs.
I agree. I even suspected a bad rotor cap, but I don't see any tell-tale signs. On my engine (not sure about all the varieties), the rotor cap is secured by two screws. These line up without problem.

Quote:
But don't assume anything. Check and double check. What harm can come from insuring the timing is correct? And the cap? It might be time to start checking the spark at the plugs.
Well, I'm getting some spark, because I can get it to run, albeit very poorly. My troubleshooting efforts had to end when I ran out of time last night. In addition to all the other hijinks, my water pump is leaking and needs to be repaired before I can run the engine again.

Quote:
As for the magnetic ring, mine's pretty snug. Has yours always been sloppy?
Dunno. This is the first time I've had to remove it since I got the boat.

Thanks for the suggestions, Neil. I really do appreciate it.
Repowered with MMI A-4 2008