View Single Post
  #3   IP: 216.120.197.130
Old 05-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Afourian MVP

Will is right: check your connections and wires. You can check those by using your jumper cables to temporarily "hot wire" the starter. If it fires up, you have found the problem.

You should also check your ignition switch. You can check that by measuring the voltage at the solenoid with your multimeter when you hit the key.

Assuming those things are right and you have juice at the starter I would next look at the solenoid. No click at the starter is the classic "bad solenoid" symptom. Sometimes you can get it to start by the "broom handle" method--turn the key and have someone whack the solenoid with a broom handle. Give it a couple of good whacks but don't beat it to death!

I had a very similar problem while sailing in a remote corner of the Great Lakes. No click when the motor was hot, but it did start with a whack (my tool of choice: the handle of my biggest screwdriver). It was not a worrisome thing because I could always start with the hand crank, but we fixed it by disassembling the solenoid and cleaning it thoroughly. That plus a squirt of Sail Kote and it worked for two more years.

Good Luck!

Last edited by marthur; 05-07-2011 at 01:52 PM. Reason: grammar