View Single Post
  #1   IP: 151.203.33.67
Old 06-25-2006, 04:20 PM
Afourian MVP

No Start and advance springs

Hi, I have a late model 1974 Atomic 4. Got it going
about a month ago after it sat for the winter. I have
since put electronic ignition, new dist cap, rotor and plugs.
Doesn't start, so I pulled the dist cap and notice that the rotor is moving freely. Looks like the new one from napa is defective as the notch is very small, I put the old one back one and it locks in place. Try Again, and still doesn't start, unplug a plug wire and I get spark. From the fly wheel looking aft #1 plug is going to the 9 oclock position on the dist cap. The firing order is 1,2,4,3. I believe this is right. Take the dist cap off again and my son says that there's a broken spring. Looks like there's 2 springs and one is broke the other is very rusted and should be replaced. Looks like its part of the advance and it might of been running with 1 spring for awhile. The advance does move when I turn it by hand.

I took off the flame arrestor and didn't see any gas in the bottom of the throat. This is after running the starter 1/2 dz times with the choke out. I tried the hand prime and it doesn't appear to move.

So I'm thinking that I had 2 problems, 1 was the rotor and either the float is stuck or the jet is clogged.

How can I check these 2 things and any idea's for a source for the springs ?

TIA

Steve