View Single Post
  #7   IP: 108.51.19.207
Old 09-16-2020, 06:07 PM

Okay. so big DUH moment. After 5 days of wrestling with this...

I went in with feeler gauges, working my way down from 0.003" to 0.0015" Slowly tightened the sections where there was a gap until I could not find a spot where I could fit either of the gauges. When I got there, my coupler would bind up again. What the heck?

So I started getting the longer bolts in with a spacer on hte shaft to remove the new shaft. As I tightened down, the same thing happened - it would bind up after going in a bit.

I caught a glimpse of something shiny in the output coupler. I took a flashlight and looked at it, and realized the bolts were coming out the other end and hitting the transmission. DOH!!!

I thought about it and realized the flange on the split hub is a bit thinner than the flange on my old coupling. Even with the OEM length bolts, it was touching the transmission when it was fully tightened down.

I took a trip to the hardware store to get some stainless steel bolts that were slightly shorter than the OEM bolts.

The coupling turns fine now, with 0 visible wobble. So many questions answered. I could not get my head wrapped around the fact that my new shaft and coupler would not align when the old one did just fine.

This incident had the worst complexity/grief ratio, and I had so many before! Thanks for the help. Regardless, I learned a lot.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to svsonora For This Useful Post:
Ando (09-16-2020), GregH (09-18-2020), ronstory (09-20-2020), Sam (09-16-2020), Surcouf (09-17-2020), W2ET (09-16-2020)