View Single Post
  #7   IP: 70.160.39.207
Old 09-14-2020, 09:01 PM

Electronic Ignition Thoughts

quentind,

I am sorry to hear that you have had problems with you Indigo AT4 ignition.

Let me first ask if your module has a Red LED on one end of the module? If not, then the module is about 20 years old. If so, it is the perfect tool to use to determine the functionality of the Optical Trigger and Electronic Module. If those two components are functioning properly, the LED will flash on and off when cranking the A4 with power to the Module. When not cranking the A4, the LED will not be on. Flashing of the LED does not provide any information about the coil however, just the Optical Trigger and Module.
If the module does not flash when cranking, I would first make sure that there is battery voltage at the “+” terminal of the coil. There have been any number of instances where wiring/switches have caused intermittent starting/running issues.

In general, your testing has been appropriate. If there has always been a solid 12 VDC supplied to the coil during your testing, then the module may well have failed. Having said that, it has been my experience that if a module fails, it does just that and does not give any intermittent service. We have had very few Module failures over the past 27 years and most of those have been the result of either a close lightening strike or the owner inadvertently leaving the ignition switch on for an extended period of time without the engine running (The new XR3000 Module is “smart” enough to prevent that from happening.)

One comment about trying to generate a spark with the Molex connector apart. You have to make and break contact between the White and Silver wires to generate a spark. If you simply short the two together, no spark will be generated and it may well damage something in the Module, I honestly do not know.

Please know that I am always more than willing to help troubleshoot any of the Indigo products, regardless of age.

Tom Stevens