X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mo
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2007

Carb service: Total time about 1/2 an hour.

You should remove and clean the carb. Just take your time, disconnect the throttle linkage, choke linkage, fuel supply line and upper part of scavenger tube from the exhaust manifold. Take care not to bend that small copper line (3/8 wrench) as they can be troublesome to reconnect. Keep it lined up.

After that, use a 1/2 wrench to loosen the carb bolts that hold it onto the manifold. Loosen the rear bolt first and start backing it out bit by bit...at some point it will be easily turned with your fingers. Once that is done you start on the front one, closest to you and more accessible. Again back it loose and then you hold or slightly wiggle the carb as you back of the bolt with your fingers...once done lift the carb away from the engine and just take it some where where you can work on it.

There are 4 or 5 (new model) bolts that hold the carb together. Remove them all and gently separate both halves about 1/8 inch. Take care not to damage the gasket, they usually come apart nicely without destroying the gasket. At this point separate both halves and then remove the big round thing in the middle....venturi being careful to work the gasket around and off the venturi.

Now you need a piece of paper towel to lay your clean stuff on....we will call this "laying it off to the side". You will notice the float, bulby looking thing. There's a pin across that holds it in...remove that with your fingers and lay off to the side on some thing clean...lift off the float and do not bend it ...lay off to the side, remove the needle valve and clean the tip with brake clean...ensure it is still pointed but don't be too aggressive on it...light rub between finger and thumb with some brake clean...lay off to the side.

Cleaning jets: You NEED the PERFECT size flat head screwdriver to do that...if you don't have one get one. It must fit the exact slot in the jet without tearing into the side of the hole bore that the jet goes into...we are trying not to mess up the threads. There are 5 different sizes, including the one under the float ...you can make a screwdriver the size you need using a grinder.

NOW put on Safety Glasses for brake clean work. Once all the jets are out you spray everything down with a good brake clean (that's what I use) or carb cleaner. Then ream a small wire through each hole (we are not drilling here, we a pushing through a wire strand that closely fits the size of the hole)....now you spray it again with brake clean and drive it through the passages again. Look through the hole against the light and see that you can see through it ....spray with brake clean again....once you are sure each jet is clean, one by one, spray with brake clean and blow compressed air through them.... lay them off to the side.

Carb Body....clean each part...brake clean the area from fuel intake, jet passages, clean out float bowl ...everything and then blow compressed air through all passages.

Assembly, clean your hands and reassemble taking care not to get any little pieces of dirt on things. I wrote this in case you have never done one before, just take your time and take care on how it comes apart and put it back together the same way. The gasket and venturi assembly are a little bit tricky for the first timer but it's easy, I'm sure you will see how it goes....no major.

Once you have established compression on all 4 cylinders you put your cleaned carb on and she'll fire up....I figure on about the 9th turn.
    Last edited by Mo; 10-19-2020, 06:52 PM.
    Mo

"Odyssey"
    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
    The optimist expects it to change.
    The realist adjusts the sails.
    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Mo
      Afourian MVP
      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by kcallowai View Post
      I did pick up a pump for doing the oil after (hopefully) all the cylinders have compression. My thought was to use this to suck any extra fluids out of the cylinder via the spark plug opening, then flushing and sucking out whatever is left in the cylinders to clear everything... was thinking of just using the leftover acetone for this... thoughts? should i use a different liquid to dilute the oil in the cylinders as acetone is somewhat corrosive and quite flammable?
      You are fine. We are talking about a cup of acetone in the oil...a leaking diaphragm could but frank gas into your oil at any time and they don't cause a fire. Once had a guy with a diaphragm leak from the old type pump that thought he had a water leak and it was a gas leak...trouble starting etc, but it would start once he built up pressure. He checked his oil and it was high...so I came to have a look at his engine for a water leak and as soon as I entered the boat I had that "quasy gas" smell...no bubbles on stick, dip stick had a hint of gas on it...gas leak.

If you have remove the carb for cleaning just leave it off until you free up that cyl 4 and have compression on it as well....when you have compression on all 4 and then add a nice clean carb, with good fuel etc it can't help but start.

Try and keep the thing from starting until you have compression on all cylinders anyway....a stuck valve can break and then to have to take things apart....take your time, try and free it, that number 4 is going to be stuck good but it might free up without having to take the head off. Take your time, patience. No guarantee it won't be broken from a previous seizing incident but maybe it will free up with some aggressive treatment...it won't be wished loose.

Keep at it, all the best.
      Last edited by Mo; 10-19-2020, 07:03 PM.
      Mo

"Odyssey"
      1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
      The optimist expects it to change.
      The realist adjusts the sails.
      ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Nov 2008

Here's a few carburetor exploded parts diagrams:

ex TRUE GRIT
        Attached Files

Comment

• TimBSmith
          Afourian MVP
          • Aug 2020

Here is a a link to my carburetor cleanup and maintenance photos Sept 2020...

I traveled down your carburetor road in September with great support and success with the help of this forum.

All the best making progress. You will get there.

Stay well. Tim
          Tim Smith
          Oasis
          Pearson 30
          1974, Number 572
          Boston, MA USA

Comment

• Surcouf
            • May 2018

Originally posted by TimBSmith View Post
            I traveled down your carburetor road in September with great support and success with the help of this forum.

and I thought I was taking too many pictures while disassembling .
            showing every single steps will indeed re-assure Keith!
            Surcouf
            A nostalgic PO - Previously "Almost There" - Catalina 27 (1979)

Comment

• Surcouf
              • May 2018

So what is the update on that one? were you able to get compression in the last cylinder? I love stories that ends well..
              Surcouf
              A nostalgic PO - Previously "Almost There" - Catalina 27 (1979)

Comment

• capnward
                Afourian MVP
                • Aug 2012

Please report back.

The reason this forum has become so good is because the person who asks for advice tells us if the advice was followed, and if it worked. Then we are all educated. If people are taking the time to give excellent detailed advice, then get no response, they might stop caring. Please tell us you have compression on #4 cylinder, and what you did to get it. Learning works both ways. I suspect the originator of the thread was successful and promptly forgot he ever had a problem. I am also guilty of that.
                I should also mention that in 20 years of using MMO in oil and fuel I have never had a stuck valve.
                This forum lives on happy endings.

Comment

Working...
                X