View Single Post
  #1   IP: 70.175.134.27
Old 01-08-2022, 01:06 PM

Cool Greetings from Long Beach

Just a quick note to introduce myself: I’m Jim and have been accessing valuable information from this site for the 15 years I’ve owned our Ranger 33 (1972 with late model A-4) out of Shoreline Marina, Long Beach, CA. We mostly sail in and out of our slip as we face into the predominant westerly winds and we are able to beam reach in and out under main on most days. I do run the engine in the slip every week and occasionally get caught out with no wind when we fire up the A-4 so it’s nice to have the little beast functioning properly. Appreciate the help from this group as well as Ken at Moyer Marine to keep us operational. Thank you!

Although I’m not much of a mechanic I have managed over the years to rebuild the carburetor, install remote oil filter, change to electronic ignition, upgraded to studs on the water jacket, installed thermostat bypass kit, installed new water pump and recently performed an acid flush for the first time since the motor was rebuilt 7 years ago and installed the MMI rewiring kit and new gauges.

Full disclosure, also managed to blow up a perfectly good pair of batteries (wasn’t present but whitenesses the aftermath of what I suspect was 110VAC into the bat bank looks like- it was a giant mess) so replaced my ancient battery charger with a Sterling 30A charger.

So, in an effort to not sink the boat, thought I’d make this post and directly communicate with the group.

Current Issues:
- Alternator (original 35 amp Motorola) seems to be charging batteries at +16 volts. Guessing the external regulator not functioning and not sure if this is something I should tackle myself, take to a shop or consider 55 amp and 100 amp upgrade from MMI…?

- new ISSPRO volt meter reading under 13 so I was surprised when I took a reading on the battery bank that showed +16…?

- ongoing reversing gear issues- it’s either VERY difficult to shift or the next cog clockwise eventually slips out of gear when running at 2000 rpm. Am I missing another adjustment point that might help dial this in?

- hard start, dies at low idle- the electronic ignition helped, as did the carb rebuild, but I suspect fuel issues despite the rancor filter and polishing filter. Working through this one, I’ll report back.

That’s it for now!

Thanks,
Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim_G For This Useful Post:
TimBSmith (01-08-2022)